Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Source Code

A topic by hertzrat created Apr 15, 2020 Views: 410 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

Since there are no prizes, and its not a competition, how come we need to provide source code? What sort of licensing is involved there? Just curious in case we wanted to use the game jam to kick-off/bootstrap a larger project

HostSubmitted(+1)

The jam is for other students to learn and draw inspiration from. Having access to the source code allows for that. It also prevents heavy usage of asset store products, though some tools (like Gaia) can be deleted out of the project once the content is created.

If you use an MIT license, there's nothing that stops you from building off that for a larger project. You don't have to release the larger project.

Submitted

My game is almost finished and I started looking how to submit and was very turned off by the need of sharing source code.
I have the same concerns as @hertzrat... how do I protect my files with MIT license and why cant it be ooptional to share code... that's so strange!

HostSubmitted(+1)

The purpose of the jam is for anyone to look at your source and learn from it. Under US copyright law, you own your work by default. You may include a license file with your source stating it's viewable for educational purposes only. If you are uncomfortable sharing your source, you cannot submit to this jam.

As for strangeness, the largest game jam in the world (ludum dare) requires source as part of submission for the compo.

Submitted

Oh cool, so by the law people cant use it already? I dont understand very much how copyright works.
Could you give me an example of this license file to state that it's viewable for educational purposes only?

HostSubmitted(+1)

See the top-voted answer in this link about just throwing a copyright notice into your project (can just be a text file called COPYRIGHT).
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/2907/does-the-owner-of-the-github...

Submitted

Can I post a read only source code? It wouldn't hurt the purpouse of the jam which as you said  "is for anyone to look at your source and learn from it".

Submitted(+1)

Hi,
Upload it to github or similar service, there it can be as "read only" so nobody can modify "that your version".
But still, you can't force the viewer not to use part of your code / solutions.

Submitted

Yeah, I'll do just that. Thank you!