Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Use of paid Unity Assets in a Public Repository And Open-Source in general

A topic by MarsasGRG created Nov 02, 2023 Views: 191 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 2
(1 edit)

I have a slight question about the requirement of making your code open-source. What about using paid Unity assets? Do I just put their folders in a .gitignore? And can I even use them? Also, what folders do I publish on Github? Only the Assets folder or all of them? Thanks in advance.

Submitted

yes and yes. You can use paid assets and you don't have to include them in you repo.

As for other folders GitHub provides a template you can use as a base for your .gitignore: https://github.com/github/gitignore/blob/main/Unity.gitignore

There was also an option to add it to your project while creating repository

Submitted

We've only ever used private repos before and are a little worried about accidentally committing something we shouldn't. Is it okay to work in a private repo and create a public one at the end for the finished game? Or do we have to work in a public repo from the start?

(+1)

As long as you are able to publish a game with a public repository URL at the end of the jam it's fine Although it's good practice to make it public from the start :)

Submitted(+1)

You could just keep your project private during the jam, then clean it up a bot when you're done developing, and then switch it to public - that's what I'll be doing as well