SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What’s your game idea?

A topic by Penflower Ink created Feb 04, 2022 Views: 183 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 5
HostSubmitted

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks so much for joining the Four Points RPG Jam!

This topic is pretty much what the title suggests: a space to share your thoughts and ideas on what sort of game you’d like to make using Four Points!

I’ll get the ball rolling: I’m currently working on a kind of retro fantasy game about Goblins learning how to do magic, tentatively titled Goblins & Grimoires. It has its own spell crafting rules, and I’m developing a bestiary for its setting.

Hi!

This is my first jam and I'm hyped!

I'm tinkering with a cosmic horror '90s investigative game called "Fourth Coming" (yes, a pun). Low to none magic available for players and rules for "madness" that are not ableist. Also I plan to have a section on running and planning mystery campaigns.

If everything goes wrong I'll ditch the supernatural and make a Sherlock Holmes-y game.

HostSubmitted

Hi! That sounds like a really cool concept 😁

Submitted (1 edit)

Hey there Tom! So I actually had two in the works but still trying to figure out how to employ either but both are loosely based on exploration.

The first takes place in a desert infested with arcane sand and magical bizarreness while the players are tasked with finding various artifacts amongst it's many ruins while avoiding magically mutated behemoths and sky riding bandits.

The second was my attempt at coming up with a ttrpg version of the game Deep Rock Galactic...but then they made a ttrpg of Deep Rock Galactic  :/

Basically you'd play a bunch of dwarves exploring a massive crystal infused meteor that crashed on the planet to mine it's resources while fighting off the alien life within, while employing some downtime mechanics like building trust between co-workers.

HostSubmitted

Hello! Thanks for joining in 😁 Both ideas sound like a ton of fun!

Initially I had an idea for a world that was an offshoot of high fantasy, but honestly the more I thought about it the more it felt redundant with the amount of material in that genre already. I have been fiddling with THIS WEBSITE that generates random indie ttrpg settings as an alternative idea generator to get some inspiration. Current best option (out of two rolled so far) sounds like a sort of far-future post-apocalyptic solarpunk archaeological...thing. I'm still working out how exactly to weave some of the incredibly disparate options I rolled together, lol.

I will roll one more and see which one gets my juices flowing the most, then see what I can hack together.

HostSubmitted

Hello! Solarpunk is a genre I would love to see a game set in! That generator also looks really cool 😁

Yeah, it's a genre I've been itching to play around with and some of the things I rolled (specifically "restore former glories" and "grandiosity") gave me this feeling of exploring a vast land full of ancient secrets...very post-apocalyptic.

Another one I rolled is more in a dark fantasy/supernatural bent which is my usual modus operandi, so I'm kind of torn between staying in my comfort zone and potentially getting too comfortable with it, or branching out and overreaching too far. Choice paralysis is rough. XD

Submitted

hi tom! thank you so much for hosting this jam—it's my second ever jam and first to include actual game design, so i'm really excited to be a part of it. :o) i'm currently working on a lightweight low tech micro ttrpg about scavengers traveling through a system of planets hundreds of years after a mysterious apocalypse. i was super inspired by the brevity of Guarden, and i'm hoping to make it available as a small foldable book as well. doing a micro ttrpg has also proven to make everything much more doable since i'm a full time uni student!  i did have just a few quick questions that i wanted to ask. 

1. is there a discord for this jam? i know it's a little late but i'd love to join any sort of community to keep up with everyone's current and future projects. <:')

2.  to make our games comprehensive, how much of the core rules/content should we include versus refer players to the srd for?  for example, there are sections that i feel like i should put directly into my game from the srd (such as the character creation stat info like the 8 dice method, etc) whereas there are elements that i am completely making up for the particulars of my game that don't appear in the srd at all. i'm going to get a few friends to proofread the game before i share it at the end of the jam, but as someone who has made 2+ games in this system so far i was wondering if you had any insights! thanks. 

adelina

HostSubmitted

Hi Adelina!

That sounds like a really cool micro RPG idea!

As for how much of the SRD to include, I usually plug in a slightly condensed version which covers Actions, Conditions, Skills, Character Creation, Distances and Sizes. It’s basically the same Rules section in all of my games, with minor adjustments based on the setting. That said, if you’re worried about it getting too long for your game, you can absolutely leave stuff out that you don’t think you’ll need, or do a Guarden and just link to the SRD 😄. Probably the most important things to keep are the character creation section, and how to perform Actions (spend EP / test your luck). 

I don’t have a Discord dedicated to this jam but I do have a general Penflower Ink one, for friends, other artists and designers I know, and patrons. If you / anyone else is interested in joining, let me know via DM on Twitter (@tomfummo) or here and I will send you an invite link!