SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Thoughts & Suggestions Sticky

A topic by Second Dimension Games created Feb 19, 2018 Views: 300 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
HostSubmitted(+1)

Hi All,
The jam is over, so a big thank you to everyone who took part! I'm really glad this jam helped some people get motivated, especially glad for those who managed to finish something for the first time.

I've done 2 of these now, with the second being roughly double the size of the first.  My plan is to do another one next year, but as always I'm open to suggestions.  This year went pretty well, but not perfectly, so please let me know your thoughts below.  I'm open to suggestions on the following things:
  • Community here on itch
  • Twitter (hashtag and account)
  • Discord (did it work, how to make it better etc)
  • Time limit for jam and for ratings
  • Voting and voting categories (how to get more people voting?)
  • Collaborations and finding people to work with
  • General vibe of the jam (aim was to be relaxed and encourage people to get something done)
  • Anything else you can think of

Thanks again for participating!

Submitted(+2)

I had fun! this was my first jam and It did not disappoint!

Collaborating with others and making it before the deadline was a blast.

I think you have a good thing going and if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Sorry if this wasn't super helpful. I'm just really appreciative of having this opportunity .

Thank you.

Submitted

Personal take:

• Let's do these more often. Someone in discord mentioned every 6 months. I think that might be a nice experiment over the next year.
  • Time limit was perfect for me, so no complaints. I have personal retrospectives for how I used it, but no criticisms of the time limit itself.
  • I didn't use Twitter, though I did use it on Twitch. I recall a friend misinterpreted FFS as "For ****s Sake" which I found humorous, though I'm guessing that wasn't the intent. :P
  • As far as voting goes, I'll openly admit that I didn't do any of that. It wasn't about ratings or feedback for me. I wasn't looking for feedback, so I felt no obligation to reciprocate. I suspect many others were similar in this way - this jam is about the very personal matter of FINALLY FINISHING SOMETHING. Showcasing is a side-effect. Still, I feel kinda bad about doing nothing, but on a more practical note I had (and still have) other time-sensitive matters to attend to.
  • Collaboration wasn't really a factor for me. In my case it was personal goal, so the interpersonal support/encouragement was sufficient. :)
  • Vibe was good on discord, though the forum vibe felt less inviting for some reason. Can't place my finger on why.