Jobs
Tags

Questions?

A topic by Retrocade Media created Mar 20, 2017 Views: 366 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Host

Have any questions? Ask them here

Submitted (1 edit)

Howdy there. First of all I like the idea of a controller jam. More games need to have not only controller support, but full controller support for the menus as well. Its just awkward having a menu with a mouse. To me a controller means fun, a keyboard means work.

So my only question is I have a game that's sitting on the shelf for a recent 1 week game jam from 2+ weeks ago. That 1 week game jam is done and over with. The game has full controller support, because that's just how I like to play. The game automatically detects whether or not you're using a controller or a keyboard so if you're using the controller, and jump to a keyboard the controller stops rumbling and stuff.

Am I allowed to enter it into this game jam? It uses the D pad + 2 buttons + start. I'm more of a NES type of person so I always go for that style.

Host(+1)

Of course

Host

Hey

############################################################################################

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1

of Draw Event

for object obj_SURFACES:

STRING argument is unset

############################################################################################

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

called from - gml_Script_scr_assemble_map (line 190)

called from - gml_Object_obj_SURFACES_Draw_0 (line 168)

Submitted (1 edit)

Thanks for reporting it. Other people have had the same issue and I fixed it weeks ago, but apparently I didn't fix it all :-) It was originally caused the first time someone would play the game. Time to go back in.

Submitted

I think I have it fixed again. I only say I think I have it fixed as I can't replicate it. I can only dig around for 3 hours at the aproximate place :-)

Host

Should I redownload it?

Submitted

Sure thing. Please give it a try when you have the time.

Submitted

I saw in the comments the game still didn't work for you. Was it still the same crash you had received before?

Host

I believe this is the same error, does the game use Opengl?

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1

of Draw Event

for object obj_SURFACES:

STRING argument is unset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

called from - gml_Script_scr_assemble_map (line 190)

called from - gml_Object_obj_SURFACES_Draw_0 (line 168)

Submitted

It might, but I just don't know enough to know if it uses OpenGL.

Submitted

Out of curiosity what operating system are you using? Thanks as always for the information. It might help me get to the bottom of this issue. The issue seems to be the maps are being created by making images of the map. I might have to make these maps power of 2.

Host

windows

Submitted

Which version of Windows?

Host

windows 8.1

Submitted (1 edit)

I am surprised at how little entries there are let alone games. Having controller support for games is easy for developers. Anyway, to comply with the jam rules, I am adding a controller support on / off just in case someone wants to Joy2Key as you mention in the description. Its something I had never thought about pulling controller support to allow 3rd party rebinding. Well now I will have it in general.