Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Fake ratings?

A topic by goks1986 created Sep 04, 2022 Views: 299 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+2)

I am curious, I had few ratings and coments on my game, but in analythics, I see that noone played my game in days those ratings was made. One was after second day no one played my game. What do you think of this? Could analytics be wrong? Or if not, is this ratings without playing game unfair?

Submitted(+1)

Sadly this is happening. And all it is about is to make people playing their games. I has written a post about this. You can see it here https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-8/topic/2341287/what-comments-and-posts-really-mean... . In your case they have not put a link to their comment, but they still uses most of what they write to make you go and play their game. 

Submitted(+1)

Thanks for your post, this is all I doubted about to be happening. And well said. Greatings from another old man, new to this stuff :)

Submitted(+2)

yep sadly this does happen quite a bit, its actually pretty sad how common it is but well its pretty hard to change this, and it actually makes me appreciate well thought out comments (which thankfully arent too rare). and to answer your question, yes it is remarkably unfair.

Submitted(+2)

Well that is spot on! About those "well thought" comments, those are precious and just are most of the time very helpfull to developer, with ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

I was wondering the same. I had some comments on my game but sometimes I received comments without any download of the game in analytics... 

And I saw on my dashboard game page that I had 0 ratings... could analytics be wrong ? :(

Edit : It seems that the ratings in the dasboard are not up to date since I can see a number of ratings in the submission page of my game. Weird.

Submitted(+1)

To answer your concerns:

1) Yes, a lot of people (~30-60%) spam-comment. You can often find this out by going to commenters' profile and see times/intervals at which they post comments. Some people comment on different games as often as every 1-3 minutes, which obviously means they haven't played

2) There are two types of ratings: game rating (general ones - a single 1-5 star) and jam ratings (jam specific - several categories, 1-5 star each). Your analytics page likely shows general Itch rating.

Submitted(+1)

ok thanks, it makes more sense !! :)

Submitted(+1)(-2)

That's true..... 

Btw try mine too ;) 

https://phoenix360.itch.io/my-guardian