Tags

What comments and posts really means

A topic by JK5000 created Sep 03, 2022 Views: 210 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (2 edits) (+2)(-1)

I see this kind of comments way too much:

Great game! Please play my game too.

Here is a link to my game www.mygame.com

The issue is I know exactly what this means, so here is a translation that says the real meaning: 

Fuck you and fuck your game. I have in no way any plans playing your game and I don't care at all about it. And if I rate it, I will not give you more then one star (Sadly I can't give less then one).

But please come and play my game. I am godly good and want to get millions of ratings. And most likely I have put spyware in my game. Here is a link to my brilliant game www.IAmSoMuchBetterThanEveryoneElse.com/GodlyGameMaker

And I know that some of you are thinking that I am wrong, but I have seen much more then ones, that people writing this kind of comments do not download the game, and a lot of them do not give any ratings (and this is, by the way, the only thing about this kind of jammers, that I am truly grateful for).

AND I am super sorry, but I am still not done being an crazy old man. But the "Rate for Rate" -posts is not much better. In general it means the same thing. I have some times played their game, and given them a bit of feedback. But the chances they doing the same for me, is less then 50% (probablymuch less).

In general is rating games that have rated and giving feedback to your game a good idea. BUT if the game have more then the necessary 20 ratings, then consider rating a game that needs the ratings.  And do never promise to rate others games because they played and rated yours, because maybe you can't play there games,  or maybe they already have much more then the 20 ratings needed.

I am nearly done now. But I have sadly a bit more complaining to do, and it is about all the jammers that never plays, rates or/and give any feedback. A super important part of a game jam is playing and giving feedback to each other's game. And please be honest without being to rough.

I am sorry for this angry old mans post.

Have a great day. a great life and PLEASE make us all better game jammers

Submitted

And please come and rate my game. 

How stupid can I be, to forget this important part of the post. The link can you guess by yourself.

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

I honestly dont know if you just had a bad experience, but from what I saw you have already uploaded multiple games on itchio, and Im wondering what happened that made you write this.

I myself have made a rate for rate post and I rated all of the people that commented on my post, as well as commented on their comments just to let them know.

While its true that sometimes I open the game and play for 2-3 min and dont try much options or dont put too much time, theres other times where Ive spent an hour playing a game that literally doesnt change or progress, just because I found it interesting.

While this might be unfair, I think its a good feedback for the developer that their game might not intrigue the player to further play their game, so maybe their lacking something

Anyways, on the part of rating one star, I myself have made a rule when rating games. Two stars is minimum I will give, and that is if there is no sound at all, if they didnt try to do anything on theme part (because you dont actually have to upload what the theme says), or if there is no gameplay at all (story games). For the graphics 3 is minimum since using placeholder cubes can still make up for a pretty decent experience. And I rate 4 for anything that has any effort in it, and 5 for what inspires me to do it myself or its so well done Im questioning how they managed to come up with in 7 days.

Im sorry for the bad experience you had, but so far I had no problem with someone disliking my game or leaving a quick review as long as it qualifies me for the jam.

PS: i rated your game

Submitted(-1)

Please read my message again. You clearly don't get the point of it.

I had way too many bad experience with those kind of things mentioned in the post. And I do also say that their are some of you, that are giving ratings/feedback when promised. And the one starts rating is from "players", that do not have played the games at all. I ,at least to some degree, agree with your way of giving starts.

I also say that you should give a honest review, and it does in, no way, have to be super nice. But we get no where being too tough on anyone.

Submitted

This is clearly one of the issues you should never mention. And I am again sorry, but if we don't do anything about it, it will just get worse and worse. Yes, you can close your eyes and not see it, but over the last years I have seen the issue grow a lot. The result is that fewer and fewer people get the 20 ratings needed, and the results of the jams gets more and more unfair. Okay, they have perhaps never been super fair.

My original post is rough, but the issue is also rough. Game jams is about us, and not just about me (and this 'me' does not means me as me writing this comment). The only ones that really gets any advantage out of the 'I don't really care about you and your game'-comments and the 'rate for rate'-posts is the one making them. Every time you choose to rate a game from one of those kinds of posts, the ratings usually goes to people that already have more then enough, and the chance that another jammer's games get rates enough get a bit less likely.

I don't think a lot of you making the 'rate for rate'-posts is doing it to be evil, but you do harm other jammers. And I know the respond form some of you will be, that we all can write 'rate for rate'-posts. But if all of us did it, we would soon drown in those kinds of messages, and it would in no way help anybody. Instead we should make 'rate for rate' something we just do, and when someone gets the 20 ratings needed, we need to stop playing their games until at least nearly all of us got the 20 ratings needed.

All I want to do with this post is to make game jams a bit more fun for all of us.