SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Unity or Unreal Engine 5?

A topic by VercinGames created Sep 02, 2022 Views: 310 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Hello to all,

I see that you are a great majority to use Unity. What you are able to do with it using the browser impresses me.

I use Unreal Engine 5, I would like your opinion on my. Could I do with the same effects on Unity? I am hesitant to start learning on this engine.

Thank you very much in advance for your advice!

https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-8/rate/1680506

Submitted

The engine is a tool, natively Unreal 5 and Unity both have strengths and weaknesses and Unity out of the box can't do the same things Unreal can and vice versa, however all of the same functionality is possible it just has to be accomplished in different ways.

Submitted

This confirms what I have read on the web. 

This is my first game jam and I expected to see many more people using UE5, I am surprised by the number of people using Unity and I wonder why this choice? Is it easier to get used to at the beginning?

I imagine that, just like UE5, there is a logic of the engine to integrate to find the solutions to what we want to do.

Submitted

A lot of it comes down to preference but personally I feel Unreal has an easy initial learning curve but the more complicated your scope gets the more difficult it is to manage as an individual or small team whereas Unity is pretty consistent in terms of accessibility for small teams or just one person. I'd also say Unity has more widely available documentation and learning material for very specific tasks/issues. Also writing code in C# with Unity's built in methods has a bit more versatility than blueprints in my opinion. These are the reasons I prefer Unity.

Submitted

Thank you very much for these clarifications, it's always more interesting to talk with someone who knows the engine.

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted (1 edit)

Oh for a small project like the game jam, UE4 or UE5 is the same.

I switched to UE5 when it was released, on the form not much changes. I find it more stable, I even have crashes.

It's going to be in the details on big games that UE5 will be more powerful, with nanites, lumen etc...

You can switch to UE5 at any time by converting your UE4 projects without any problem! That's what I did :)

Deleted 1 year ago
Submitted

For me the reason is completely different. I really want to switch to unreal engine 5 but I want to make grand strategy games and unity has a toolkit on the asset store that handles the map, pathfinding, units and a lot of other features.

Submitted

I love strategy games and I saw an interview with one of the EU5 developers who said that managing a lot of units was complicated in EU5. It is possible to do it, but in C++ and not in blueprint.

So very few strategy games are using UE. 

At the beginning EU was really specialized for FPS, it has improved a lot but there are still some details that are sometimes painful when you do something else like strategy.

Submitted

Wait EU5 is already in development?

Submitted

Or did you mean UE5?

Submitted

I meant to say UE5 sorry

Submitted

it all comes down to preference mostly, atleast for me, unity feels much more free, but that just could be because i am experienced with it, and yes, any effects or functionality which can be done in UE5, can be done in unity. obviously some things would be easier while other things would be harder, but again it just comes down to comfort and preference!

Submitted

D'accord, faut il en déduire que Unity est globalement plus "confortable"? Parce que dans cette game jam c'est tout de même une immense majorité qui l'utilise! 

Submitted

oui, unity est le plus confortable; je pense que c’est parce qu’il y a beaucoup de tutoriels de la unity pour les debutants (je suis desole, mon francais est faible)

Submitted

Hello. I have worked with both of them. However, this is my personal opinion. You can search on google for better results:

1. For little games like game jams or indie games unity has better efficiency. 

2. For mobile games unity is better. 

3. For 2d games, unity has better tools.

4. For big projects like AAA games, unreal has better performance. 

In unity, you can create awesome effects with "Unity Visual Effects Graph". You have to practice a lot with it.  First-time effects aren't very good!

You can learn unity with brackeys youtube channel.

This is my game made with unity with WebGL and windows output. please try it! https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-8/rate/1681109

Submitted

Ah thank you for your feedback!

I will check out your game :)

Submitted (1 edit)

I used Godot for mine.  Its html5 export is really easy and smooth.