Jobs
Tags

Nighty Night by CoMooPow Games - Devlog

A topic by CoMooPow Games created Feb 24, 2022 Views: 424 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (3 edits)

Game Title

Game Idea

Our idea was to play with the contrast of reality and imagination through they eyes of child. We were thinking of a young boy that is brought to bed but does not want to sleep. So he sneaks out of his bedroom, takes up his little flashlight and goes for a nightly walk through the house to find some delicious cookies. But as you are approaching the dark living room that once looked so familiar during daytime wild creatures arise and start to creep up on you - but what is reality and what is just arising from your lively imagination?  

Concept Art

The parent's house that looked so innocent and harmles by the light of your fleshlight will transform into lurking creatures as soon as your are turning your back on them. So while being on a desperate hunt for cookies be sure to keep an eye on the on the living room furnishing!

Everything that lies in the dark and is not touched by the light of your flashlight will be drifting into the lively imagination of our main character. That's why we wanted to achieve a high contrast between reality (dark) and imagination/fantasy (light) by switching from filled shapes of the furniture pieces to just wiggly outlines of the imaginary creatures that they become once the light goes dark. To emphasize the dark scenery we decided for a rather monochromic color palette.

Game Over

Once your imagination gains the upper hand and you got overwhelmed by your nightly trip through the darkness, lights go on and you will be brought back to your cozy childroom's bed. So be sure that your journey does not end before your hunger for chocolate cookies is fully appeased! But if there is any craving left - maybe try again?

Submitted

Yooooo, I live the art style of this. I am really excited to see where this game goes.

Great Job!

Submitted

I am just gonna say this could have some fun jump scares.

which wouldn't break the rules if they're not too scary and there is a warning at the start of the game.

Submitted (1 edit)

Yeah, why not! We could make a FNAF franchise out of it - just with furniture instead of puppets. Something like "Five Nights at IKEA"! :D

Submitted

lol, that'd be fun.

Submitted

my god, looks super dope, also btw, where in the world did you get a font like this, i have been looking for a font like this for years now.

Submitted(+1)

Haha, this a very special font called "personal handwriting"! ;)

Submitted (1 edit)

;D

you have a handwriting that is miles better than mine ;)

Submitted(+1)

Character Animation

Our main character is getting some animations:

Submitted

he looks poggers

Submitted

wuhu! :D <3

Submitted

I wish that I could actually be good at making games like you.

Submitted

let's gooooooo

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

As the game jam is over we are so happy to finally have finished our game! It was a wild journey but we are very happy about how it turned out! We would be really happy if you give our game a try, give us some feedback and let us know what you think in the comments.

Also we managed to hide a little secret ingame that so far nobody has found - maybe you are the first one? Let us know in the comments (without spoilering of course)!  

You can play the complete game here: https://comoopow-games.itch.io/nighty-night

If you‘re interested in how me made this game, some more devlogs will follow in the next few days!