Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is lighting allowed?

A topic by Vitbull88 created Jan 10, 2022 Views: 220 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

If I make some 3D models, white or black as base color, can I use engine lights to highlight details? Or effect of light on RGB channels of the textures count as different colors? In general, is lightning allowed?

Host

The question is quite serious. I can say that the essence of this jam is to create a game with high contrast in graphics. If you are interested, then I can recommend to get acquainted with other 3D from past jams. (Legacy of LightThe RangerImpostor SyndromeBoatmen; BWGameJam2021) As you can see, not all games have only two colors, but the style is still guessed.

(1 edit)

One possibility to get gradient/shading even with only black and white/on and off pixels is dithering. 

Image from: https://blog.csdn.net/lz0499/article/details/101627042 Equations for it at this link too. 

I'm not familiar with most engines, but in Godot at least it's not too hard to make a shader,  heres a video:

I imagine it would be possible to replace the color limiting stuff in the above vid with the dithering equations to get a dithering filter.