Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Comments on "Deck the Halls, Gieves"

A topic by Verdant Tome created Dec 19, 2020 Views: 257 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

Hello all! The last time I entered an Adventuron Jam, someone started up a thread like this for my entry, and it seemed like a good idea to do it again.

At the moment I have a beta version of my game uploaded to my account. I'm in two minds about letting people play it, since it's still some way from what I hope to have in my final entry, but it's currently functionally complete, and I'd say that ignoring the missing graphics, it's about 98% of the way to where I want it to be. If you can spare the time to take a look and offer any constructive criticism, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Removed link to beta version. It is no longer available as I have submitted my full entry.

Submitted

I hope to get a chance to look at your game today! ^_^ Congrats on finishing!

Host

Hi,

I had a brief look at there are a couple of things that I noticed. First is that the font looks like of non-crisp. I think it's because you are using a bitmap font that requires integer scaling. A quick hack with the CSS revealed that the font requires fonts sizes in multiples of 16 pixels. To configure this in your game, go to the assets / fonts section of your source code, and inside your font section, make sure the following parameters are set ....

userfont_something: base_ttf "......." vert_pixels = "16"  horz_pixels = "8"  snap_vert = "true";

This will force your font to display only in cleanly scalable increments.

The other issue is that your game doesn't have the correct settings set on itch.

Please pay attention to 9E, 9F, and 9G, in the following guide:

Adventuron - Uploading To itch.io

Oh, one more thing, you can make the directions clickable in your main text like this:

<north<3>>[n]

Really love seeing this look and feel, and really really love the Wodehouse vernacular. No way in the world I would switch that off - but it's really going above and beyond to have parameterised it. It's rather spiffing in fact.

Chris

Submitted

Thanks for the tips, old chap!

I had set those values in the font definition, but I had incorrectly assumed that the 8x14 font would be 8x14 pixels. The site that I downloaded it from did mention something about scaling, so this is probably related. However, setting the definition to 8x16 has made the text teeny-tiny, and very difficult to read on my laptop's 1366x768 screen. Is there some way to force Adventuron to be a bit more liberal with the scaling? I found that if I use the browser's zoom functionality to zoom out one step to 90%, Adventuron will automatically make the font a much more readable size. And if I zoom in to 200% it looks great, but between 100% and 150% or so, the text is too small to read comfortably. Playing with the zoom makes me think that Adventuron has a pretty robust scaling system that unfortunately just happens to break down only at resolutions around my laptop's screen resolution.

I tried adjusting  "font_scale_multiplier", but nothing seemed to happen. I also fudged the font size to 16x32, which made the text blow up massively in the editor (to what looked more like 3x or 4x rather than 2x) for some reason, but worked in a compiled version. However, I'm assuming that this would interfere with Adventuron's scaling system, so I'm loathe to do it. I also tried adjusting the "columns" property in the theme; at 40 columns the text was a good size and very sharp, but the display was limited to the middle 2/5 of the screen. Other column settings that I tried all looked similar to the 80 columns that I started with.

By the way, when adjusting the zoom level in Firefox 83.0, the font still showed non-integer scaling at many levels, with either blurring or distortion visible on the letters. From working on another game in JavaScript/HTML5, I know what a pain it can be to get browsers to scale pixel art in integers. Even when you give them the perfect resources and instructions, they seem determined suddenly to change their behaviour to something else only in those "perfect" cases! In the end, I gave up for my HTML5 game and just resigned myself to having slightly blurry pixels. My target resolution is so low by modern standards that most people will hardly notice anyway.

Checking the itch.io settings on my beta, it looks like I missed 9E. Oops!

And thanks for pointing out how to make clickable directions. One of my beta testers also found that instances of defined nouns are automatically made clickable in the text, which I didn't know about.

Host

In addition to the font level settings provided earlier, here are my recommended scaling options, which should be good at all screen sizes, and result in a crisp font:

themes {
   theme {
      theme_settings {
         font    = ????
         columns = 72
      }
      screen {          widescreen_horz_ratio = 1
         snap_mode             = column
      }
   }
}
Submitted

Welcome to the wacky world of Adventuron's weird scaling. No matter how hard I try, I can't make sense of Adventuron's scaling algorithm. It tends to snap to unexpected sizes in the most unusual situations. All I can suggest is experimenting with the horz_pixels, vert_pixels and experimental_line_height_ratio values in the fonts section. I have no idea what the first value does. The second one seems to affect the font height, but sometimes in a completely unpredictable manner. The last one affects the leading, i.e. spacing between lines. I'm using a Google font and values of 8, 15 (or a bit less) and 1.2 respectively work well for me. Prior to this, I was using a bit-mapped font and values of 16, 16 and 1.2 respectively worked well. If you're using any of Damien Guard's fonts, values of 8, 8 and 1.2 generally work well.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hello! I finished your game! If you'd like a transcript, by all means, please ask! ^_^

Normally, I skip a lot of text, but I did read all of yours, so well done. :D

Submitted

Hi Errol, I'm glad that you read everything! I know it's quite a lot, so I'm worried that it might put some people off. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see your transcript, yes. I might be able to slip in a few more improvements before too many people get to look at my entry :)

Submitted

Sure thing! Please email me at errol@elumir.com and I'll send it to you!

Submitted(+1)

If anyone is interested, I wrote a (rather rambling) postmortem for "Deck the Halls, Gieves" on my 'blog.

(+1)

That's an illuminating postmortem - thanks for sharing.

With regard to the hardness of puzzles - I just think the expectations of text adventure players these days are for games to be a lot more merciful. As I said elsewhere, I had a very similar experience when making a game where the required path to victory seemed blindingly obvious and well-clued (to me) but my players really struggled with it (originally, I included no puzzle-specific help or hints). Similarly, before writing it I had no substantial recent experience of playing text games (I more or less left them behind when I was, say, 14 and I'm now 44) so my intuitive idea of what difficulty level was acceptable to today's players was someway off the mark. Nowadays, if a game doesn't include a  metaphorical big red emergency escape button to get past a difficult puzzle then that in itself makes it seem quite old-school.

With the hints that you've now put in the game: they are helpful, but I'd still urge you to include (at the end, or alongside) an explicit solution if someone (like me) just really isn't getting it. For an example of such a situation: in the locked bedroom (which I got out of eventually), without any hints at all I had found the hanger, unscrewed the hook, inserted it into the door to pry the latch, found the cane and removed the cap. I then spend some time trying to LEVER HOOK, ATTACH CANE, ATTACH CANE TO HOOK, LEVER HOOK WITH CANE, ATTACH HOOK TO CANE all to no avail. The explicit thing that I had to do (which is not stated in the hints) simply escaped me. I managed to do the right thing in the end, because I felt enough investment in the game to persevere, but many other similarly puzzle-inept players would simply have given up and walked away to play something else - and never seen all the hard work that you put into the rest of the game.  I'd say that it is worth offering the last resort nuclear option ('just tell me exactly what to do so I can get to the next bit please!') to prevent that outcome.

Submitted

Thanks for your post! In terms of game dev experience and age, we seem to be similar; I also did most of my text adventuring in my teens to early twenties, which was about 20 years ago. :)

Looking again at the door-opening sequence, I can see a couple of places where I could've dropped more and/or more obvious clues as to what needs to be done. I'll probably go back and modify those parts later, but I'm also thinking about writing up a full walkthrough, as you suggest, but separate from the game. I'll link to it on the game's page, and possibly offer a link within the game, maybe once all hints for an area have been exhausted.

Submitted

I'm late to responding, but I am similar with my text adventure history. Played a lot in my pre-teen and teenage years.

In regards to difficulty, I knew I was going to alienate people with my unfamiliar puzzles. Although, I didn't have a hint system that showed the explicit answer in the beginning, I added that in the end. I do want people to finish the game.

And I'm glad I did. A lot of people did use the hints, and it also forms a stronger connection to the characters.