Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Submissions Closed (Community Update) Sticky

A topic by Acerola created 68 days ago Views: 1,394 Replies: 23
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Host(+14)

Acerola Jam submissions have concluded! Please keep reading for information on community engagement. 

In case you forgot, the games with the best ratings will be pooled and polled during the judging stream to decide who wins the community's choice award, so be sure to play lots of games and give your feedback! But, please keep in mind the following safety information:

Unfortunately, because game jam games are just random .exes, windows will flag nearly if not all the downloaded submissions as suspicious or viruses. This is okay and normal! You can run them anyways. But, malware submissions are a possibility! Please be mindful of what you download and run. If this is a concern to you I would wait a few days for any potentially harmful submissions to be removed, or stick to games that run in the browser. Games with high ratings are most likely safe, but please understand that we want everyone to have a chance so if only the popular games get played then that sort of reinforces the popularity. I will be posting games I really like in the jam-highlights channel in my discord server to give a bit of a spotlight, so please keep a watchful eye. 

Now, if you're a nerd and know how to do virtual machine stuff, I really need your help!! I cannot reasonably test all of the submissions myself in a timely manner so I need as many people as possible to sift through the submissions in a safe environment to find any malware. If you can find a malware submission, I'll give you a cool role or something for your service. 

Next, if you suspect a submission has broken the rules, please DO NOT talk about that in the forums or discord server and instead dm me about it personally on discord. I do not want anyone feeling bad about what they've made because someone else thinks their art kind of looks ai generated or something else is off. I do not want to foster a community that points fingers like that, so please, keep any suspicions private to you and me. We're here to praise people for their legitimate hard work, keep it positive and constructive. 

Lastly, thank you so much to everyone who submitted a game today and honored my best friend. If we do another jam it probably won't be during this same time period, so this one was very special and you should be proud of your accomplishment. I'm very excited to see what everyone made! 

Okay now go play the games

Submitted

that last line. shout out to him...

My game is pvp . should I set a certain hour for the people that want to review?

Host

It was kinda in the rules that you should prioritize a single player experience cause unfortunately I don't wanna risk an ip leak

(1 edit)

yeah its not pvp exclusive. its ok. tried finding a free hosting so I can give you guys the code to run the server but no luck

Submitted(+1)

Acerola i have a huge problem. I need your help.

I saw many people ( 2 people actually ) that rated my game got two problems and i know how to fix them. But HEAR IT LOUD. The problem is not in the game. or it is not a bug that makes the game act weirdly. The problem is in GPUs. My GPU and their GPU. but most of the time every computer you met will have different GPU. and the thing is all gpus cz of being not stable do the stuff by their own. I wrote my game in OpenGL and handled the GPU by myself. But two problems occurred:

- I used the OpenGL version 4.6 that not every drivers support. so i think i need to downgrade the version i am using cz i don't really need the latest opengl version. I just want that every GPU can use it.
- I had some debug callback code that whenever any message came from the GPU either warning, error, or a notification would freeze the game and i did that cz i need to find some bugs that might occur. I playtested after submitting. the game i made got no notification for me. but the other person's pc's GPU sent a notification and that froze it. so i also want to delete the frozing part of the game.

So I just want to delete 2 lines of code. And i would be happy if you let me to. I will show that i am just changing two lines of code by video call or a video proof but please let me change it. And yes it is a game jam not a tech jam or GPU jam. I know cz it worked in my GPU it would work in some of them but first of all i am getting very less reviews. only two rated till now. And also i asked both two. So if i can solve that then i might get some review tbh. so please let me. I won't a change a single line of the games code. Tallk to me in discord for you either answers. #jam-questions channel. I have asked you there as well.

What do I do if I didn't submit my game in time?;I was dealing with a bug in unreal engine and then I had to go to bed

Host(+5)

I'm sorry but deadlines are deadlines, it'd be unfair to everyone to make exceptions.

Submitted

Hey, apparently my game just got disqualified. What happened?

Host (1 edit)

It was disqualified for multiple reports saying there's no download files or browser version so the game isn't playable, it just says the game is unavailable.

Submitted

Weird, I thought it says no download available because it was disqualified. It even says on the top of the page (or if you click on more information) that it's a game for Windows and Linux, that's the two builds I uploaded. If I click on edit game I can even see the uploaded files there, here's a screenshot:

Submitted

Okay, I figured it out. There was a checkbox at the end of the Visibility & access section, right on the public visibility settings that said "Disable new downloads and purchases". I don't know how it got ticked but once I unlocked it, downloads became available now. Can I get requalified?

Host(+1)

yeah you're requalified

Submitted

how to join discord?

Host(+1)

There's a link at the bottom of the jam overview under all the rules and stuff

Submitted

thanks bro!

(1 edit)

Crap I assumed the deadline was on the weekend like an idiot. Can I submit tomorrow plz. (My game runs in the browser so I'm not adding to your malware scan workload.)

Host(+1)

no sorry deadlines are deadlines

馃憤

Submitted (1 edit)

Are we allowed to update or fix bugs for our games or can't until the voting/rating is over? (jam is over)

Host

cant until the rating period ends

Submitted

Submitted

Acerola, is there any chance I can upload an HTML5 version of my game? 

Apparently people don't dare to download .exe games because of viruses and this puts my game at a huge disadvantage. 

Obviously I wouldn't modify or fix anything about the game, it would be the same but in a web version so that more people are encouraged to play the game

Submitted

For now I put the web version on a separate page that can be accessed from the main page, 

It is the only solution I could think of