Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is there a way to post submissions past the deadline?

A topic by DiamondCore created 84 days ago Views: 343 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Just asking just in-case, there is definitely a fair chance I miss the deadline by like a day lol

Host(+1)

unfortunately no, you should aim to submit early.

Submitted

alright, good to know!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Note that with jams on itch.io you can both submit early (i.e. multiple days before the deadline) and update your submission up until the jam deadline.

My recommendation (particularly for browser-based games) is to:

1. Submit (or at least upload) a really early “test build” as soon as possible, so you can troubleshoot/debug with as little time pressure as possible;
  2. Submit one or more “safety build(s)” once you have something minimally playable (and, then again with, say, each major game play “feature” added)–this is so you have something “recent” submitted in a “worst case scenario” (e.g. cat eats your mouse, cat eats your computer, cat eats your house, cat eats itch.io servers at deadline etc).
  3. Try to avoid the temptation to add “just one more thing” before making a final submission and aim to make your final submission 2-3 hours before deadline (you probably won’t but that’s why it’s important to at least aim for it :) ).

The two week jam time frame makes the dynamics a bit different to a 48 hour jam but, you know, last 48 hours of two weeks is still only 48 hours… :D

(Note that it seems that for this jam, games submitted before the deadline are visible to everyone once submitted, so, you can just put a “Work In Progress” disclaimer on the game page if that’s of concern to you.)

Also, (an admittedly niche :D ) Pro-Tip: if you’re saving to a data cassette make sure you’ve advanced past the non-recordable plastic leader before starting the save… :O