Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is asking ai about stuff prohibited?

A topic by Pusio created Feb 10, 2024 Views: 891 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+5)(-1)

Rules of this gamejam state that ai generated content (code included) is forbidden. I am not planning on making any assets using ai, neither have I ever used copilot. However when I'm learning new stuff I often open chat gpt and ask "how to make array in GDScript". I do this because it is faster than googling or browsing documentation.

I would like to use this gamejam to learn new game engine (godot) since for certain reasons I quit making games with unity engine. If it turns out that I cannot ask gpt about syntax I fear it is gonna make learning stuff harder. First and foremost I would like to avoid 'cheating', therefore I ask beforehand - is asking ai about various knowledge (and not generating assets) also forbidden?

Host(+14)(-1)

I would personally avoid using chatgpt for stuff in general, it is an extremely valuable skill to know how to google what you want and read documentation to learn what you need. I would even argue it's the most important skill to have lol. Chatgpt is entirely capable of feeding you complete misinformation, as well as outdated misinformation.

(+7)(-1)

I agree with you. But this does not answer if its only discouraged or straight up forbidden to use Chat GPT in such a manner. Would it be allowed?

A friend of mine considers using the jam to learn and would like to adhere to the terms, but finds ChatGPT a better way to learn due to its interactivity in comparison to e.g. Youtube.

In my mind, having things explained to you would be conform with the terms. But as soon as one copies something that one  doesn't fully understand (i.e. couldn't explain it in detail to others) I would consider it a breach of terms.

Submitted(+1)

I kind of disagree, AI CAN help you with game development sometimes.

If you use an AI that cites you to the sources it feeds its info from (eg: Perplexity) then chatgpt could be used to help you quickly find a page in documentation you are looking for, or can quickly refer you to a reddit thread where someone is having the same issue with you. which can save some time you'd like to have

I do agree that abusing it to constantly provide summaries instead of going to the documentation is bad though (and obviously don't have it generate code for you)

Submitted(+3)(-1)

I've been playing around in godot in those past few days, and I can confirm that chatgpt is dogsh*t at gdscript. It keeps ignoring prompt about godot4, and keeps posting godot3 examples that in most cases do not work. With such an amazing ai helper it is indeed faster to just read documentation.

Yet the question still stands - lets say I write a scenario, some dialogues for my game, and want them checked and fixed. English is not my first language and chatgpt is good with language stuff. Is it ok to ask gpt to fix my broken english?

(+2)

This would be entirely up to Acerola to decide, obviously. But as far as I've gathered from other posts, and the rules themselves, it would depend on if the search results were generative or informative. 

Example:
Asking LEO what the syntax of Unity's DrawVector function is vs. asking LEO to give you an example of a DrawVector call.  https://imgur.com/a/3rmPpAg

I think the point is to keep to the spirit of game jam. They're meant to learn, grow, apply your knowledge, socialize, have fun and come away with a sense of accomplishment. You aren't really doing that if you rely on third party tools to carry the workload. Part of this walk through knowledge also includes being able to readily find what we're looking for in source documentation. 

Acerola, it would be nice, given the way this has devolved- if you could give offer an official yes or no. I know what our personal feelings about AI are, but an "I would" answer leaves a bit of ambiguity for anyone who reads this later, and isn't aware where else this conversation spilled over to.

Submitted(+1)

From the link you provide, I think that the sentence that LEO gives you at first is very meaningful:

"The syntax for Unity's DrawVector function can be found in Unity's official documentation".

RTFM: one of the best skills a programmer can have.

Host(+5)(-1)

The issue is that it's impossible to enforce not using ChatGPT which is why I'm saying that I'd just prefer you didn't for your own personal learning. I do not think it's a benefit to use something like ChatGPT, it is a net negative on your growth even if you perceive it to be better than other resources. 

Submitted(+2)

Best way to learn GDScript is to get used to Godot's documentation. Once you get the grip, is all about ctrl+click methods/rmb+click items within the IDE to solve any doubt. Besides, Godot's Discord server has an amazing community with two channels ready for beginners to drop questions all day long; and pro coders answer fast.

I feel that "ChatGPT-ing" life, in general, is a pretty lazy way of believing that others will think the hard part for you. Criteria is a valuable tool. If you don't know what or why you are doing what you are doing, trusting such tool will give you more problems than solutions.