SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

3 months voting - When can we update ?

A topic by Zyk0 created Mar 14, 2022 Views: 216 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted (1 edit)

Hello,

I submitted within the time frame, but now I want to iterate and improve my game since I have hype for it.
I can wait for voting, but 3 months is a lot to me.
Can I keep developing on my side branch and publish a new release after 1 month or something?
I'm okay to be unregistered from the event by that time, but I don't know the typical flow, thanks in advance!

Submitted

Me too. Since I couldn't save a lot of time for play-testing before the deadline, I have found minor bugs and things to improve in the game after the submission.

There was one major error which I fixed and re-uploaded, thankfully, before the deadline but there are still more things to change.

The hosts have responded to similar questions by saying that you can upload another file of your choice if you want to do so, but while keeping this previous file as it is on the website and labelling it as the one made for the game-jam specifically.

Submitted

Oh, right !

Like having a jam-version release file, I could keep updating my browser version you mean ? Or the other way around
I feel like updating browser version while keeping a legacy file to download would not really be fair as browser is the most accessible / played :/

Submitted(+1)

I think keeping a legacy (jam-version) file is what's best if you want to keep pushing updates while keeping it fair since this is what the hosts had to say about it: "We request you maintain a 7DRL version of your game for reference.  People judging may elect to play either that one or  the latest.  Change notes can specify what was fixed / added so the judges can take that into account even if they play the latest version.

You can direct people to the latest & best version, however, as we'd want the normal players of your game to have the best experience as possible."

Submitted(+1)

Makes sense, thank you!

Submitted

Since I was just bug fixing and not adding new elements to my game, I didn't keep the OG file, rather just slapped on a patch (lol) cuz I agree, if people download the jam file instead of some up-to-date one, they're not gonna get as good an experience.

If you wanna check it out, here's the link to my game: Join Me In Dystopia, Pirate! by IndieMonkey (itch.io). I'd appreciate it tons if you give a rating as well.

Cheers!