- Jump feels quite low for side scrollers.
- Not sure how to appropriately fight enemies. They shoot projectiles, you shoot projectiles. You can basically only jump or duck to avoid them. You also have to jump in order to shoot them back, but if you jump you are commited and might not be able to react in time to them shooting. With some work this could be an engaging fight system.
- Attacks from different directions coming from enemies (lobbed shots).
- Enemy animation warnings before attacks.
- Hit-stop / hit-stun on hitting enemies.
- Lower health on enemies.
- Definitely prototype further before commiting more resources to art. Consider lowing the scope to a Smash Bros stage and making that fun to engage with before commiting to a larger level.
- Your individual sprites look decent (be careful of pillow shading).
- The default resolution of the game does not suit the art (too zoomed out / small detail is lost).
- Your pixels are all different sizes.
- You've got a mix of detail levels that make it feel like some very granularly detailed assets sitting in an open blurry world.
- How to fix?
- Double-down and make detailed background assets (not recommended, yet)
- Change art style to less individually detailed sprites.
- Lower the scope to only one level (because I think you'll kill yourself trying to make a whole game at that art level).