I really liked how the pets/EMT part of the narrative was revealed as you walked past a dog and cat and ambulance :) Also, not sure if intentional, but I liked how the change to Brooklyn had the character drop down from the sky a bit.
Recent community posts
Ok, cool. Here's my first impression level feedback after completing the tutorial and playing the main game for a bit:
- Controls menu: when I press escape, it returns to main screen, not previous options menu
- Tutorial text to introduce each stage felt like it took about twice as long as it needed to. Perhaps a "got it" button to dismiss or something would help
- 6 colors seems like it would be impossible with a keyboard and mouse using the default keys (1-6 on top row), since I only have 4 fingers, thumb on space, and right hand on arrows. Numpad + WASD may help, but 6 is a lot (but I guess that makes it harder, which is good for master/expert folks). As a point of comparison, Guitar Hero is really hard on expert, and it only has 5 colors. Though, 6 allows for high ceiling, and speed runners can post a video of them doing the impossible :) I guess as long as the difficulty curve is shallow enough so folks don't bounce off right away (easy to learn, hard to master and all that etc)
- The bouncy/tweened titles seem to bounce a tad too low, and nearly clip into the menu items. Looks great, just maybe move a little higher? (I used fullscreen @ 1080p if that matters)
- The main menu "(press enter)" text feels like it should fade in maybe a touch sooner. Most people will get it and know to press enter or space in video games, but perhaps some will not know what to do and feel alienated as a result.
- Controls: When using WASD controls, the main menu "stopped working". But it was just that I tried to use arrows too. Perhaps always use arrows/enter for menus, in addition to WASD to avoid confusion
- Menu options are a bit confusing, as the title changes, and the value appears. The color matching helps, but I think it could be more explicit. Mocked up an image to show you what I mean: http://imgur.com/2X88OAN
- The menu could be zazzed up with some subtle sounds for menu selection, etc. And maybe move those gray box outlines very slowly as well as fade in/out to give it some depth and make it feel like I'm "in" the game
- It would be handy to be able to view previous and/or best runs without going into the play menu
Do you plan to get VO work for the main voice?
This is really fun so far, and very hard. My best so far is 48.35s, 17r, 11a. I think this could benefit from a custom arcade controller or even a game pad. Something that might be helpful is an on screen visual aid for which colors match which numbers/keys. Either that, or I will have to stick coloured labels on my keyboard :)
I'm not sure how much sort of "polish" feedback you're looking for at this stage, but I did notice some things that can be tightened up from a feel perspective.
In any case, nice work so far. Looking forward to more. I hope you get on steam :)