Brilliantly chaotic, can't wait for golf 3!
The Mad Programer
Recent community posts
Nice dialogue, but messy branching. It's possible to play through the entire game without ever meeting some of the suspects.
That being said the Unwinnable by Design secret ending you get for pressing one of the suspects too much is genius, though it too suffers from the problem of messy branching.
Would love to see these characters explored further in any future sequels ;)
So I'm co-hosting a jam where we set up a manually ranked criteria (called strangeliness),
I can't seem to find the option on the submissions page, am I supposed to be doing it from somewhere else?
Well, no one's going to stop you. But with so many game-jams being solo-entry only, we tried to make one which requires teams. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Again, we won't stop you, but our goal with this jam was to inspire teamwork.
I don't think there's anywhere specific (in fact this has come back to bite me a few times if the name and theme of a jam were too different)
Just put it somewhere where it'll be visible in the description!
A blind date, as you might know, is when two people who have never met before are set up to go out on a date together. Stranger Jam is an attempt to apply this concept to that of a Game Jam, a game jam where you have to learn how to compete as a team with complete strangers!
Here's a short video trailer we made to give you a better visualization of the idea:
Since we're merciful, instead of shuffling everyone into random teams, we've given people the time to build their teams. You have plenty of time (about 3 weeks) to prepare your team, preferably on a Discord server we've set up especially for this Jam.
If you have any suggestions / ideas for the jam, feel free to tell us (even if you don't want to participate), head on over to https://discord.gg/tRs5uA5.
If any of this sounds the least bit exciting, join Stranger Jam today! Also, if you are participating or telling any of your friends, be sure to use #strangerjam2020 !
Alright, to influence less people in their voting I've decided to leave my review here on itch.io instead.
Well, the box didn't lie it was about 5 minutes. First impressions:
- I'm not a fan of strictly text-based game jam submissions, as I'm someone whose fallen into the trap of converting some of mine into this format at the last second just to have any content at all. But I do like Twine. You did add a couple of mini-games so that's nice.
- On innovation I won't be giving anything too high, while meta commentary is uncommon in the jam-game genre, it's so popular in writing that somehow this game seemed a lot less original than it probably is. It really reminded me of https://semruk.itch.io/man-of-sorrows which is supposed to "tell the story of a programmer struggling with balancing his job/game-dev ambitions" but it was obviously a commentary for the mindset of someone participating in a jam. I'd highly recommend you play it a bit for some nice ideas on what other analogies you could have sneaked in here. But again, your game was only about 5 minute--
- Except that it loops forever! Not an issue though, that was definitely intentional on your part and acceptable on mine as the player, since it gave me a second chance to replay the games I'd lost before; unlike an average jam entry which is typically unrefreshable or has some other finicky behavior when you replay it.
- Good job, you caught my attention! I think the game's strongest suit was its humor, because this was what I enjoyed the most out of it. It wasn't the level of meta commentary, it wasn't the mini games, what made the game fun for me was what made it funny.
Nice job, I wish you the best of luck (^_^)
- Tips for beating It Must Not Wither:
- Keep water near 1.0,
- as the plant grows its consumption seems to increase but the safe-amount is slightly above 1.0.
- Too much will drown it, so don’t over-click.
Do this and your plant too can produce fruit!
- Tips for beating To Keep Me Alive:
- Repeat until you’re at 20-25 food
- and then rest until you get to 10 Energy.
- Now just click travel 10 times to win!
Do this and you too can arrive at your destination!
Tips for beating In A Game Wherein:
There are none, the ride never ends.