Really juicy- I love the way everything has an effect or transition of some kind
Recent community posts
I'm so happy with all the submissions and the great success Indigestible Jam was. This was the first time I've ever hosted a game jam, and I'm so lucky to have gotten so many unique and well developed games. I would like to thank all the developers who participated, as well as 1ByteUniverse, the winner. I'm so excited for the path of all the developers and wish you all luck in the future.
Here is a quality version of a recorded stream I made on Sunday. It included documentation of all the games and unlike the Saturday stream, I played the Windows games on my computer and not recorded them from the webcam.
Check it out here:
Thank you all again!
A poem for the winner of Indigestible Jam!
Creation of a mind
Goes through enigmatic lines
The game you play that breaks
You can see the break from upset to confession
The shift that turns from good fun to depression
Yet the indigestibility wanes to foster
You romance the browser, acquieses become incarnate
You did this
You made this
You built a house in a week
That takes up not one but two spaces
You were voted most niche
It begins, as you face it-
Not metricked and fearful
Embracing the weird
You have much
You earned it, now make it
Soak in the win
Onlookers, copying is for the big fish
Set your path and make it
There are people to play it
For anybody participating that wants some examples of what I meant when I said indigestible games, here are some examples that aren't wholly representative, but just some things that may give you inspiration.
Indigestible means that these games recognize their potential inaccessibility to a larger public, but own it because the game requires it to make its point:
- PeaceMaker Game (http://www.peacemakergame.com/)
- Developed in 2007, portrays the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as a game.
- The work of Michael Brough:
- (Cinco Paus) - a rogue dungeon crawler without language, instructions, or context
- Kraid Dating Sim (Demo) (https://vreyes.itch.io/kraid-dating-sim-demo)
- Dating that huge handsome monster KRAID from Metroid
- Absurd imagery, oblique references, randomly generated text and powers https://mason-lindroth.itch.io/hylics
- A pornographic version of WarioWare (https://pierrec.itch.io/nsfware)
- Oikospiel Book 1 (https://dkoikos.itch.io/oikospiel)
- A surreal, musical and referential game about labor,environmentalism, video games, and much more. The game contains a lot of references to turn of the century literature, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and opera.
- Self Portrait Interior (https://theotrian.itch.io/self-portrait-interior)
- A guided tour inside artist Theo Triantafyllidis
- Sonic Dreams Collection (http://hedgehog.exposed/)
- References to Sega’s exploitation of their poor blue hedgehog, internet subcommunities, fetishes, and more!
- TetraGeddon (https://alienmelon.itch.io/tetrageddon)
- An absurd, satirical, super sensoral reflection of internet culture
- The Trans Zone (https://glamow.itch.io/the-trans-zone)
- A funny, cute, tho serious game that frames HRT as a quest through the Trans Zone
- Four Nights 7: The Return of Foxy (https://foofin.itch.io/four-nights-7-the-return-of-foxy)
- A satirical game parodying rushed RPGmaker games, contains a lot of references to niche online content, other RPG maker games, and YouTube streamers, as well as making jokes you won’t get if you’ve never played Off, Lisa, and Five Nights at Freddy’s. The game uses music and visuals from a lot of other games.
I would consider any and all fan games at least somewhat indigestible and niche.
- No More Pills for Poppy https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/416917
- A game based on a scene from “Mega64,” an online sketch comedy podcast performance artist group.
- NG’s 20th Anniversary Collab https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/666610
- Filled with references to NG memorabilia and characters that really pass over my head…
- Fan games in general are a great reference/starting point for this jam!
So there you are, some references! Have fun this week!
Referencing this as a worthy example for "Indigestible Jam"-
'A satirical game parodying rushed RPGmaker games, contains a lot of references to online content, other RPG maker games, and YouTube streamers, as well as making jokes you won’t get if you’ve never played Off, Lisa, Five Nights at Freddy’s (indigestible for non-( specific type of indie RPG playing ) public). The game uses music and visuals from these games too.'
-Also played it good work 👍
I don't mind! I actually should clarify and say that as long as it can be accessed by at least a Windows computer (whether by an application, .exe, webapp, web based) it's Ok for me. I just want to be able to stream it (I have a Windows machine), and web should work fine.
Paragerm is a small germ sim built in 5 hours. Uses flocking code and the p5 library, p5.play, made for Paolo Pedercini's Electronic Media Studio.
The prompt was to make a virtual ecosystem, so here is a small showing of predators, prey, and minions on the microbial level.