Update: beat that map and got to map 8, with what seemed to be unbeatable:
- Start as far away from enemy as possible.
- Hope to get one builder + farm in your hand, and place them in the corner
- place other farms when possible
- Ideally first place archers next to your boss, then drop pawns in front of archers if energy permits.
- Drop pawns until you have at least 2 farms then start dropping better units
- Focus on picking off enemy archer/mages with your archers (kills them in one shot), and horses (since they can run right through everything and murder your leader)
- Once you have decimated most of the opponents' ranged units and have a full army on the table, slowly push towards them creating a creeping wave of death. At this point you would have maxed out energy so can easily replace lost units instantly.
- The third general is by far the best, most HP and his special move affects ALL units.
- As soon as in range, use the third general's special, and focus on enemy leader, they'll drop in 2-3 attacks and battle won!
Nothing could stop me, didnt need fireball or other magic (even when I put them in my deck they never appeared in my hand anyway...do they only appear if you have the magic-user general?)
That is... UNTIL I encountered a crippling bug - in map 8 suddenly archers could no longer attack (attack was always greyed out). Melee units could attack for a few more turns but then also fell victim to the no attack curse.