So... I could barely test the game due to the below, so unfortunately I'm not really able to give much feedback on the actual "game" part of the game. I appreciate it's an alpha so things will be rough around the edges, but
1) Everything takes so long to load. Skipping past the page where you set graphics settings, it's 43 seconds to get to the point where it tells me to "press start". If I press ESC to leave the race it's another 33 seconds back to the main menu.
2) Configurable keys would be great
3) Please add volume options for sound and music
4) No matter how low I make the graphical settings, gameplay's not smooth. Mine isn't a top of the line computer, but most games play fine.
5) The user experience is... not nice. I should be able to hit esc and go back to a main menu. Having to wade through the screens showing the people who made your music and voiceover every time gets very annoying very fast. I understand you want to show your credits, but it only takes needing to exit the race once before you're sick of seeing those full screen, long, unskippable credits screens. By all means put credits, but this isn't a good way to do them.
6) I should be able to quit in about 3 seconds from when I'm playing the game. Esc then select from an in-game pause menu back to the main menu, then from the main menu, choose quit or hit esc again to quit. Instead this is more like 30-60 seconds while I wait for everything to load and go through mandatory screens you can't skip, to then find out it's effectively the same as restarting everything from scratch - without being able to get to a settings menu. And there's no way to quit without alt-tab then force killing the game. ARRRGHHHHH!
7) I should be able to change graphical settings from the main menu. When I find it's playing badly I want to change a setting and get back to trying the game 2 seconds later. Instead I have to quit (via the slow screens I can't skip as mentioned above), start again, choose the settings, wait ages for everything to load, start a game, wait a bit more, then find out it still plays slowly.
8) When the game starts (doing race start countdown) the camera heads straight off into the tree for reasons I can't understand before changing to a behind car angle.
9) Using accellerate as your "accept" button isn't intuitive - especially when you have a level select screen that's a grid. I really wouldn't want to have to use left and right without being able to quickly go up/down to choose a track to race.
10) To try and get the game playable I took the game from 1080p to 1280x700 or there abouts, and changed all the graphics settings down to approx 1/4. It still played sluggishly, and now the textures are all dithered and flickering at me.
It may end up the most fun game in the world, but unfortunately the user experience as it is in alpha just getting to the point where I can play the game makes me not want to play it. It needs to be a heck of a lot faster between the time you want to start playing and when you're racing ,and those credit screens need to be moved entirely to a credits menu off the game menu - worst case skippable. Having to watch them every time will turn people off very quickly.
I love the idea, I love the style, I just can't enjoy it in the current state.