Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
(2 edits)

Hi Sienna!

Most playtests were run online over lockdown using a buggy Tabletopia room and Discord so certainly doable. I don’t think I set up Tabletopia correctly and its quite resource heavy on the computer though.

Have since found PlayingCards.io to be much easier to use so just made a room (demo here: playingcards.io/zvnrxd) and added the export to the downloads available so you can import it into your own room (instructions here).

The deal button deals a hand of 5 equipment cards to each player, splits the deck, shuffles in the aces, stacks, and deals out the table cards. Reset does the opposite so use at your peril.

Any spare pennies will need to be split manually but everyone can then interact with the table which hopefully takes a lot of the strain off you as GM.

Haven’t tested the room at all though so do let me know if anything breaks/doesn’t work!

(* Edit: That is, if you do end up using it of course)

Thank you so much!

I ended up keeping to my original plan because I liked being able to see the player's character sheets on Google Jamboard and have everything all together. I thought it worked really well. Here is a view-only link to our Jamboard from this morning's session in case anyone would like to see how it worked:

Jamboard Link

My players turned back after 3 orchids (and discovering some gold), so they didn't have a particularly perilous journey--they didn't make many tests of wit since they had plenty of objects for the most part--but at least one of my players said she liked it that way, so they could focus more on interesting story elements with how they use the objects instead of just fearing for their lives. I did make them use quite a few objects to get home safely though (e.i. escaping the brewing storm, a success for each of them to avoid Willoughby's treachery) so I think they all felt they did the prudent thing.

We really liked the pre-made adventure, I thought the game was very well made and is pretty unique as far as ttrpgs I've tried. I recommend writing down all the player names and putting a tally mark next to each person when they take their turns, so as GM you can make sure everyone gets an even amount of turns. Since I didn't want to write in my hardcopy book I also wrote a column for Risk, Reverie, and Reward and made tally marks for those as well, starting a new line each time they found an orchid.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to make the players succeed at an obstacle when they had a Reverie. I just used it as a character moment without making them roll or use an object. I suppose you could make the game significantly more perilous by requiring successes with Reveries as well as Risks.

That made me very happy (and slightly relieved—your’s is the first game I’ve heard about that I wasn’t directly involved in!) to read and really like what you did with the Jamboard.

The difficulty (I think rightfully) tends to ramp up with fewer players but just like with your group, they can always bail if they’re concerned for their safety & it sounds like you ran reveries exactly as intended.

Thanks for the write up! Have added a community copy :)