Yes - definitely!
Bystander awareness is about:
- people being aware that they are bystanders when they witness bad things happening
- people being aware that as bystanders they have options
- understanding what those options are
Bystander intervention is about:
- acting to intervene in some fashion (talking with a trusted adult is one form of intervention!)
Many people aren't always aware that they are bystanders to bad things because they may not realize that what's going on is bad - or they might believe that other bystanders will intervene instead of them - or they feel uncomfortable intervening in the situation due to societal norms or fears of retribution.
The goal is to help people:
- recognize when they're bystanders;
- to know their options; and
- understand how to safely intervene.