SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Pricing your games

A topic by Sealed Library created Jun 11, 2020 Views: 210 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Jam HostSubmitted (2 edits) (+2)

Morning folks,

We are overjoyed to say that this jam has picked up far more momentum and far more submissions than we ever hoped for that. That was true before the Itch bundle brought tons more eyeballs onto some W&A games, and we think it's likely we'll see more interest coming on the back of that. Which is great.

We did always hope we could make W&A into a proper thing, with a good stable of games and a healthy scene of making new content. We do have some post-jam plans of how we might keep it up, but it's still too soon to really talk about them, and world politics have put a lot of stuff into reassessment.

We do feel there is a principle from the *Dream here we'd like to discuss before the jam ends. That is valuing your work (principle 5).

We've recently increased prices for the four W&A games we've currently got available, and we'd like to encourage everyone else to do similar. Based on everything we can tell, you are more likely to reach a point of paying yourself 10c/word or more from Itch work if you price higher.

It is notable that Chris and I have had success from bundles that offer a good discount, but this only worked because we started at a higher price and gave a good deal for the bundle. We'd definitely encourage everyone involved to consider co-op bundles with other creators from the jam, especially if there is another game you think yours would sit well with.

Obviously your games are yours to sell as you please, but some of the games produced for this jam are unbelievably cheap for the quality and talent on display in them and we'd dearly love for you all to be compensated properly for the work you put in.

We'll hopefully have more to talk about with post-jam plans soon, but we're unlikely to do so while politics is rightly demanding more of people's attention.

Much love, and keep safe during these uncertain times.

Matt & Chris

Submitted(+2)

I’m waffling between $5 and $7 for mine, depending on how I feel on any given day. I would not have gone that high without your encouragement and example, setting your game to $8. :)

When you look at the number of downloads for some indie RPGs from the Racial Justice Bundle, it shows that the problem is not that people are not interested in indie RPGs, just that they don’t know about them.