Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How do people feel going into a game jam and after one?

A topic by HeheheHoho created Aug 11, 2022 Views: 101 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Ive never done a game jam with anybody (nobody I know can actually do atleast 1 job) so I never know how it feels for other people.

Submitted

Every team is going to be different. Some teams you join are great and deliver incredible projects. Some teams argue, can't agree on a vision and never get off the ground. But if you find every team you join has problems, then you might need to look in a mirror and change some things. 

Here are my tips for leading a team:

• Give frequent progress updates to your team.
  • Listen to your teammates' ideas. Nothing crushes a person's enthusiasm faster than being repeatedly dismissed or ignored.
    • A good leader will pick up on a teammate's strengths just by listening to them, and then assign them to appropriate tasks. 
  • Give compliments and be thankful. Your teammates are giving you their time for free to help you build a project.
  • Delegate as much as possible. Know your strengths and weaknesses, and delegate your weaknesses to your team.
  • Prepare for disappoints, and always have a back-up plan. A teammate's failure to deliver should never sink your entire game. Everyone on your team is a volunteer. Don't be surprised or offended when life happens to one of your teammates and they have to drop out.

Here are my tips for being a good teammate:

• COMMUNICATE! If you had something unexpected come up in real life, don't just ghost out on your team. Tell them you can't deliver on time. Saying nothing is so much worse than giving bad news.
  • Offer to pick up tasks rather than just waiting to have tasks assigned to you.
  • Under-promise/Over-deliver, not the other way around. A 48 hour game jam is not the place for you to learn an entirely new programming language, and you're probably not going to be able to deliver a AAA 3d model with 27,000 tris. You don't have to be the legendary hero. It's okay to just be the person who delivers what the team asks for. 
Submitted

same thats why i am a solo game dev