Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions about sprites and resolution.

A topic by Davide Puato created Nov 23, 2017 Views: 679 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

Hi, i would like to know which would be the correct size for the sprites and if a screen resolution of 128 x 128 would be correct?

As an example, would these sprites be correct? The one on the left is 16x16 pixels and the other is 16 x 32 pixels.

English is not my native language so i  am not sure if i understood everything and i never tried to do something with a 2x1 pixel rule and i just want to be sure :)

Host (1 edit) (+1)

While I do not know the exact answer, Puato, I can come close to as accurate an answer as I can to your question.

For example about what you are saying now, if you are using a screen resolution of 128x128 right here:

...then the correct style of sprites would be to redraw them so that they would perfectly fit the 2x1 pixel-aspect ratio we are looking for.  Here, I will show you an example:

That is just one way of doing it, and I hope this helps you out truly as a valuable little example right there.  ;)

You know,  working with “2x1”-styled pixels can sure be a daunting and most challenging discipline to successfully pull off at first, especially for those just starting off in this kind of pixel ratio as beginners... but, with some good constant practice as well as plenty of time and study about this fascinating medium, it can be managed masterfully the more you learn and learn about it as well as how it works while you are pixelling your own new sprite work in the form of a 2x1 pixel-dot style indeed.  I mean, even I had to discover all of that quite a serious bit thoroughly myself too when I first began from just a year or two ago, especially if I wanted to preserve the sprites to fit that exact very ratio instead of them looking like a choppy mess with nasty, randomly missing pixels in-between.  I am only just learning along all the splendid aspects of it thoroughly and handsomely so that I can share all that newfound knowledge about it with you in order to give you some much vital insight into what this amazing, iconically well-cherished art of pixel style is truly all about.

As such, I most richly thank you so much for the rather interesting question, and I look forward to your fine entry into this game jam.  All the best to you indeed on doing that!!!  ^-^=b !

Submitted (1 edit)

WOW, thank you, i was not expecting such and in depth answer, i understand now, and again, thank you very much for the answer :)

Host(+1)

No problem, and great to have you in my Wide-Dot Pixel Game Jam 2017, even if you have just joined us as one of the newest entrants yourself.  Again, I thank you quite richly.

And real awesome to meet you, by the way!!!  (^^)v

Hello, I'm very interested in this wide-pixel excitement, but I have a question that sort of follows up on this example. To achieve the 2x1 pixel art effect, is it done by literally drawing and  making sprites with the rectangle pixels, or would you draw the pixel art like you would normally do--like that 1x1-style archer and dinosaur above--but then stretching the image by tweaking the final resolution? In other words, is it best to draw the 2x1 sprites manually, or setting the resolution to achieve the effect automatically? I would think drawing would be more satisfying than just the illusion of rectangle pixels. I hope that question makes sense, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept and how to best achieve the desired effect. Pretty cool topic though, I admit I've never  read up on this fascinating technique! Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Host (2 edits)

VinylFly, a splendid hello to you as well, and welcome!!!  ;)

The way I quite go about achieving a proper, accurate, much more natural 2x1 pixel-art effect in my own sprites indeed there is by carefully making them in a direct series of 2x1 rectangle-based dots of precisely well-placed colors (I like to truly imagine an entire grid of “2x1”-styled pixels visually off the top of my head as I go, you know?  ^^ ), just like the snap-together toy building blocks that you and I used to play with as rather young children from back in the day, so to speak.  Not an easy task, mind, as I then check and check again *real* often in making sure there is absolutely ZERO pixel-loss and no incorrectly-placed pixels either at all in the entire translation from 2x1 to 1x1, and then back to 2x1 in terms of overall pixel-aspect ratios for sprites... all using a regular pixel-resize method (without even any slightest hint of blurring whatsoever).

Here is the method that I use for checking 2x1 pixels: 1) I set the Width (X) to 50% and the Height (Y) to 100% for a 1x1 pixel ratio:

...and then 2) set the Width (X) to 200% while leaving the Height (Y) at 100% to switch back to a 2x1 pixel ratio:

...all while making sure at the same time I set all the beginning horizontal (X) pixel coordinates for each sprite to just an even number (e.g. 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, or any multiple of 2!) to begin with in advance.  So yes, overall, I do and customize my own sprites in a 2x1 pixel-ratio form manually and thoroughly in any screen resolution that I set it to.

Truly plain challenging stuff to get the hang of at first, but hey, if you get the sheer practice in often and constantly in nailing it all down pat without any unwanted pixel losses period in the checking and everything, you will soon be well-skilled brilliantly in the world of this 2x1 pixel-ratio style as another step taken forward for you into creating much better pixel-art!!  As a result of it all, you will then have some of the best, more natural results... and you know what, that is how I truly do it, and I am so happy to be sharing all of that with you deeply from the heart as one of my main methods!!!  (^-^)=b !!

A TRULY great follow-up question most indeed, VinylFly, and thank you so much for your wonderful time well-spent.  We are learning some real awesome inspiration to warm us all up for this game jam of mine here that is set to start in less than 24 hours... I cannot wait!!!  :D

Awesome, thanks for the insightful and inspirational information!!!

Host

My absolute pleasure, VinylFly, and great to have you here with us indeed!!!  ;)