Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Opinion: the Limitation shouldn't be Optional

A topic by LegoNenen*C.N.Gentle created Aug 25, 2022 Views: 158 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Actually the title gives the main thrust of this.

This is an Opinion; but I believe the Limitation shouldn't be optional, as this is the Whiskers Jam, it really ought to be part of every project beyond the surprise theme that'll be announced. 

One possible reason it was done this way is that by making it optional does allow for Other animals with whiskers (but that could simply be incorporated into the original limitation instead); However, by making it optional, projects may completely ignore the concept entirely... 

Which in this case seems detrimental to me. Any thoughts?

Host (1 edit) (+1)

This is definitely a valid point, and I have considered making the limitation a requirement.

The jam was originally only going to have a theme (no limitation). Though I added the limitation of incorporating feline animals as a small touch of originality to the jam. I think making it optional allows for people who aren't interested in it to still participate and push their creativity further through the surprise theme. This makes the jam more open, as this is meant to be a fun game making "party" for everyone! (the original intent was not for it to be about feline animals)

However, this jam being the "Whisker Jam", it does make sense for the limitation to be required. I want to see developers incorporate felines into their games, and see how that might impact the ideas, mechanics and overall design of the entries.

It'll be optional this time around, but who knows for future jams!

Thanks for sharing your opinion, and sparking up this very interesting conversation! I'd like to see more people sharing their thoughts on this!

(+2)

yeah, that seems like it'd make sense, why not make limitation needed, and theme optional?

Host(+1)

There are a lot of possibilities to explore, who knows for the next jam? Let's see how it goes this time around, and get and idea of what aspects of the jam need to be improved or revisited. Thanks for the suggestions!