Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Are Images for whitewolf.fandom.com allowed?

A topic by heartingNinja created Nov 12, 2021 Views: 390 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

Trying to use a lot of images from the 3 packs given. But some images I would like to use from this site. Are they allowed to be used? Or is the artwork made by fans and not free to use? 

I see this under some artwork, or just uploader name on some. 

This file is copyrighted. The individual who uploaded this work and first used it in an article, and subsequent persons who place it into articles, assert that this qualifies as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.

Host(+2)

What the text means is that site owners believe the usage fails under fair use, so they assumed it would be fine to use it without actually owning the copyright or agreement from the copyright owner (I believe for "non-profit educational" reasons, as per US law). This doesn't work for projects like yours - using just any images by fans in your game cannot be, in any way, interpreted as fair use. You need personal agreement from the author if you want to use their work and you haven't legally obtain it, or it's not under CC license. 

Submitted(+1)

Cools, thanks for making it clear.

Submitted(+1)

A similar question, I am using the link from gamejam https://freemusicarchive.org/  When I post on YouTube I get a copyright claim. Here is an example https://freemusicarchive.org/music/gigakoops/please-bring-peace-to-the-village-o...  It has this link https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ Guessing 

"NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes."

is why YouTube gives a copy right claim, but just want to make sure these tracks are OK to use for the gamejam. 

Host(+2)

Even though your work is not going to be used commercially, terms and conditions of the game jam are there to ensure you have full, commercial and non-commercial right to the assets you're using, meaning this license is not enough - "attribution only" (CC BY 4.0) would work, though, as long as you correctly attributed the author. 

Submitted(+1)

Thanks so much again. Was pretty sure for this gamejam it wouldn't work but wasn't sure. I feel like a lot of entries will make this mistake and be DQ. Got to redo my music now, but found one creator I like with correct license. I suck at programing so my visual and sound together are my best qualities haha. 

(+1)

This is really late, but I am the artist behind that example song and I can give some context. I never put my music on the YouTube content ID system, but a few months ago someone had taken two of my songs and stolen them, trying to claim ad revenue on them. I eventually got the songs taken down from streaming services (thanks mostly to the help of another label who artist's music was stolen), but seems the content ID match is still in the system for some reason.

As for whether or not my songs are okay to use in a game jam, I guess it depends on the rules of said game jam. I'm personally fine with people using my music in their games as long as they're non-commercial, regardless of context; I've noticed a few games that have done that already in fact. But I also know some game jams require that all assets have a license that require commercial use, so I'd say just make sure any game jam you are in allows non-commercial assets for free games before deciding to use any Creative Commons music that doesn't allow commercial use.

Hope this helped!
- Gigakoops

Submitted

This game jam required commercial license, so couldnt use your music. Learned a good deal about how license work after this post.  Contacted your email after I saw someone else claimed your song on my youtube test. Still waiting for last copyright claim before I submit yours. Awsome music, keep it up.

I hadn't noticed it was you, apologies for the redundant reply :P And thanks!