Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A warm welcome! Sticky

A topic by Teascade created Jan 12, 2017 Views: 385 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Jam Host (1 edit) (+2)

A warm welcome to everyone joining the jam and first off I just want to say, I hope you'll have fun!

As said earlier, this is the first Vertex Jam I'm hosting, but very probably, new ones will be hosted in the future, so there might be some flaws in the rules and in overall hosting of the jam, but be reasonable :)

Now as the jam is starting in about a week, I'd love to see some community action here in this section of the jam, and hear about your ideas on how do you intend on making the best game of the first Vertex Jam and in general talk with other participants!

Good luck and have fun!
(+1)

I apologize for waiting so long to post this, I had other obligations when I saw this. Now that I have some down time, I guess I could talk about what I'm going to do for the jam.

Normally I usually pick programming languange and then pick an engine in this programming language. I am pretty adept at learning new programming languages and prefer the "baptism of fire" approach to things. This time was a bit different.

I decided against it this time, instead picking an engine before the language. I think that, for this project, I decided to work to try out the Blender game engine. Normally I'd be against it because -- and this is objectively speaking here, the engine is quite a mess. However, I feel it fits the project and for something simple, it'd be hard to mess up. Plus the engine scripting is in Python and a visual programming language so I should be fine. Hopefully this doesn't back down backfire on me, but honestly that's the fun of it. Hope everyone else has fun too; can't wait to see all your project. Good

(1 edit) (+1)

Hey all, I'm going to use the Vertex Jam as an opportunity to jam out an idea I've had for a while now: a 4 player local split-screen kart-based arena shooter, but with FPS elements (guns, jumping, shielding, environmental hazards, etc.). Think Mario Kart meets Doom.

It will be set in the same world as--and borrow a lot of mechanics from--a game I released earlier this year: Operation Hardcore. Naturally, it will be called Operation Hardkart.

For the jam I hope to create a prototype/proof of concept with one track, 3-4 weapons, and some way to win (i.e. stay alive the longest/kill all other players). Visually, I'll be going for something along the lines of Mario Kart 64: a combination of billboard sprites, and low poly models with low res textures.