Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are the constraints for a mixed media submission?

A topic by tundish created Nov 07, 2019 Views: 258 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 3

Hi there, I realise that this Jam is about doing more with less :-)

There are specific constraints on the size of the submission (1000 words of prose or 9 panels of sequential art).
How do these constraints apply should I want to work with both text and visuals?

My common sense interpretation is that I should maybe split the allocations (111 words less in exchange for one image panel).

Also, are there any limits on the amount of audio allowed?

(+2)

If a picture is worth a thousand words, you're buggered.

:-D

Host

Hello!

Sorry for the late reply to this.

That’s a good question. I would say that so long as you don’t go over on either count you’re fine. So you could have an entry with 1000 words and 9 panels of sequential art. Basically, for sequential art we look at panel count instead of word count. But in the spirit of the jam, it would definitely be good if you could keep things brief. :)

There aren’t any explicit limits on audio, but it depends what you’re doing with it. Are you just intending to record the words that would be written otherwise? Or add new content? If it’s helpful, you could count words of audio and words of text the same way. (So 500 words of written words + 500 words of audio = 1000 words total.)

We’re not looking to disqualify anyone who’s trying to stick to the spirit of the jam, but don’t want to make so many exceptions that folks adding audio + image + text on top of the interactivity have an unfair advantage in terms of being able to fit in more content.

Does that all make sense?

Hi Stewart, thanks for the reply.

In my case, any audio would be background music or effects. So nothing that would add to the length of the thing, only (hopefully) the experience.

Likewise, any images would be alongside text, not in place of it.

I totally get that this Jam's about small pieces of work punching above their weight :-)

Host

I don’t think any of that would be a problem. :)

Thanks for checking in!