Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A "complexity" category in ratings?

A topic by Impy created Mar 04, 2022 Views: 164 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+4)

There's a lot of games in this jam that I'm finding very impressive on a technical level, but can't properly reflect my astonishment in the scores that I'm giving. "Novelty", "kink" and "play" are the closest, though I feel that nudging those around doesn't adequately explain what I'm giving points for. I've ran into this problem in last year's jam too when I had to give a rating to Anthards Academy, which was had an amazing amount of content volume but most of it was unfinished.  For Strawberry Jam 7, I would like to see a something like a "complexity" category to allow the players to channel some of these feelings into their scores.

On a side note, the amount of effort put into the submissions this year has really forced me to be super critical, especially in the "Aesthetic", "Play" and "Sound" categories. This is probably a good problem to have, but I've had to revise a lot of scores that I gave an easy 5 to at the start. I'm guessing we're supposed to be rating the games in comparison to one another so that there will actually be some sort of spectrum of results in the end. If everyone but one person gives a 5, then it's really just one person who actually cast any sort of vote.

Submitted(+1)

I totally agree, I also think some didn't have as much time or experience as the others to develop more their game. I try to be critical but also give a 5 to whoever did a good job, be it a noob level or god level job. Cause if a Pixar artist enters the Jam next time, we'll all get poor ratings X)

Submitted(+1)

In past jams there were usually one or two games that had a very obvious amount of extra effort put into them. I gave them 5's but didn't change any of the other game ratings in relation. This year, the amount of submissions that have had ridiculous amounts of time and talent poured into them is beyond compare. The way I look at it, if I'm giving an equal number of 4's and 5's, I'm doing at least some amount of sorting. Otherwise the only people who would influence the vote will be those who just give full 5's to the one game they like and 1's for everything else.