Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Is the use of public domain text allowed ?

A topic by filiaa created Aug 10, 2023 Views: 69 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

I am currently working on the IF-ication of a 16th century book. It was made to be used as a divination parlour game, people were to chose one of the many query prompts in the first section of the book, throw a 12 sided die, and use a table to find the answer in the second part of the book.

I am making a twine version which automates the die roll and the seeking the corresponding answer part, which should fit the single-choice requirement, but it means there is very little writing going on on my part, I am merely copying existing verses and slightly modernising the spelling to make it more accessible to modern readers.

Is that allowed in the jam or is the lack of original text an issue ?

HostSubmitted

Since it's in the Public Domain, you can use it how ever you want (though you may want to add it somewhere in the credits/on the page). And we don't really have a rule against using that kind of work either :)
If you are worried there is too little writing from your part,  you could fluff up a setting around the mechanic?

Submitted(+1)

Yes, I do have an "À propos" passage which is currently empty, but I do intent to fill before the deadline. I wanted to be sure it wasn't against the rules, thank you for your quick answer.