Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Entry] Portal Deal

A topic by Frenchie14 created May 15, 2020 Views: 330 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 10
(1 edit)

Gonna take my first theme and run with it!

STORY

TBD. All I know is that I want some character dialogue boxes to add some humor  馃槃 

MECHANICS

This will be a physics / sandbox / puzzle game

There's a pile of money that you have to get to the end by creating a bunch of portals. While it's going to use the infamous two portal system, there will not be a character for you to control. You have to get the money to the end by using the portals alone! 

I'm not sure yet how to make the puzzles interesting if you don't need line of sight to create portals. I need to figure out a way so that you can't just portal straight to the exit. Maybe you'll need to collect some floating money along the way 馃

TOOLS

PICO-8, Sublime Text

Subscribe to the thread for updates!

Submitted(+1)

1. Place portals
2. Open gold pipe
3. Watch how gold is thrown around the level through the portals
4. Win or loose :)

Your idea has a nice potential, good luck! I'm looking forward what you're coming up with.

Whoa, that is not the gameplay I had in mind at all but it's awesome! I have to think if there's a way I can incorporate something like that into the game!

Submitted(+1)

Every person holds different ideas, that's what I love about game jams, to see what everyone turns up with :)

Got edge detection working for portal placement! Data is coming from the map and there's support for different walls that only allow portals on certain sides 

Submitted(+1)

Love that edge detection! 

(+1)

Movement / physics test with bounciness set to 0.9! Next up - portals :)

(+1)

First basic portal running. Still a lot to do :)

Submitted(+1)

This is madness, LOVE IT! :D

Added velocity rotation going through portals! Hoping I can get to a point where I can create levels before the weekend starts :)

Host(+1)

Nice!

Running into a game design problem D:

The cube moves way too fast for the player to have any chance to put portals in its trajectory. I tried a quick hack where I let the player slow down time, but I find myself just holding the "slow time" button, which takes out a lot of the fun of seeing this cube zooming around. You can play around with it here: https://maxbize.github.io/portal_deal.html

In traditional Portal, this isn't a problem because you just need to look forward to anticipate where you're going to hit a wall - here we're playing from an "observer's" perspective.

To solve this I'm considering allowing the player to set up a chain of portals at the start, then hit go, and watch the madness unfold. They can go back and tweak their chain until they find a combination that lets them beat the level. Anyone have other ideas?

Submitted(+1)

It's tough decision and I think doing what you suggested is the best way in the given circumstances. It can be still lots of fun watching the "gold" running through generated portal system :)

Alright spent a few minutes converting my 2 portal system into an n portal system!

https://twitter.com/MaxBize/status/1264092964474597377 (sorry for the link - MP4 upload wasn't working here)

Woohoo! Submitted!

https://frenchie14.itch.io/portal-deal

Didn't have time to add any of the "deal" part except that you're collecting gold bars. Might spend a little more time polishing this up before posting on bbs ;)