Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Assistance combining carts?

A topic by Tangent (Rose) created Jul 28, 2019 Views: 237 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2

I pose this question to the host: Do you need or want any help combining carts? I wish to offer my assistance if it can be of use. I would imagine the first step is to collect stats on what each cart uses, then figure out what kind of simplification is required to fit them all (my best guess is that what really needs to happen is that this needs to become a multi-cart project at some point).

There are probably several "standard functions" that can be pulled out, as well as standardizing sprites to have more generic re-used versions. Just doing some casual brainstorming at the moment.

Submitted

Sadly I don't have enough time this week to help making the final cart :(

But I have a proposition. I think it would be feasible to make a multicart project (one master-cart, some game-carts). Each game-cart contains multiple mini-games. For example:

- the master-cart handles the title screen and randomly loads a game-cart with one parameter: level

- the game-cart run one minigame randomly. At the end, it loads the master-cart back with parameters: level and status (won or lost).

- the master cart, knowing it has been loaded with parameters, update the number of lives and load a random game-cart with parameter level+1 (or handle the game over screen if necessary).

- etc.

PICO-8 can export html multicarts with at most 16 carts. It should be plenty! I didn't check how the current picoware cart works, so maybe my idea is not easy to do.