Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

First Time Ouya Dev

A topic by TylerCode created Dec 01, 2020 Views: 232 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(1 edit)

So I want to get in on this. I was a fan of the OUYA but never ended up getting one (long story). My question is: do I NEED an OUYA to join the jam? It seems like they’re fairly cheap but wanted to ask ahead of time.

If not, how can I get started without it?

Submitted

I was wondering this too. I doubt I could have one delivered in time to participate 

(1 edit)

For me on Ebay it seemed like I could have it here about halfway through. Which would let me design a game first couple days then figure out how to make it work on the console after.

Edit: Not how I prefer to do things mind you, but it would work.

Submitted

Yeah I went ahead and ordered one actually lol.  I'm just hoping there will be more Ouya jams in the future.  Not to mention I have no idea how to develop android apps.

I did the same thing, got here yesterday and I’m pretty sure mine is at least partially broken it’s good enough for the jam. Luckily I’ve done android before but it’s not that terrible once you get it all setup.

@greeneman42 (Dylann) we're having another OUYA Game Jam if you're interested, hop back into our Discord Server.  Link can be found here https://itch.io/jam/ouya-winter-game-jam-2021

HostSubmitted

you could always get someone else to test your game, but it's easier if you have your own console to push builds to. I'm pushing builds all the time as I develop.

(+1)

Yeah I ended up going ahead and grabbing one. I’d wanted one anyway so figured why not. Hopefully it gets here in time :D

(+2)

The game has to work on OUYA to qualify, so it's best if you have your own console so you can test it easily, as Toasterkidd said. You can probably find someone else to test it, but you might be waiting hours just to hear back that the game isn't working, which is a lot of time lost.

OUYA can be a bit of a fickle beast, so it's a good idea to own one to make sure your game runs on it.

How can you get started without one?

1. OUYA is an Android device, it runs Android Jellybean (4.1) which is API level 16, it is 32-bit. You should make sure that any game development IDE you use supports that. I believe Unity 2019.2 and older might support this, but you should double-check. Game Maker Studio 1.4 has decent OUYA support, and Game Maker Studio 2.2.5 can still export to OUYA, however Game Maker Studio 2.3 and above appears to make this impossible. At least I can't get it to work. App Game Kit Classic also appears to work I've heard. And I believe older versions of Godot too.

2. The OUYA is a low-end device by todays standards, so make sure you don't use anything too intensive in your game, such as dynamic lighting or full-screen shader effects, lots of transparency etc. These can cause performance issues, so you're best keeping them to a minimum. Perhaps consider designing your game around a 1280x720 resolution too.

3. Look into how your choice of IDE handles the OUYA Controller, some of them don't offer great support for it, but you can probably get started adding support for it without owning an OUYA, and it might save you some time when you eventually get one.

Thanks for the super detailed response. I ended up going ahead and ordering one but these tips (along with a bunch of other documentation I’ve found) should help me get started while I wait for it.

I didn’t realize how hard these would be to get hold of but glad I was able to in either case. Looking forward to the jam!

Well informative, nice!

Tyler, I'm guessing you didn't get to participate in this Game Jam but we've got another fast approaching if you're up to it.
https://itch.io/jam/ouya-winter-game-jam-2021