Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Purebasic

A topic by Bardon created May 12, 2023 Views: 210 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 2

I thought Purebasic is allowed. but in the last oga-jam my game was removed! of course there was a virus-warning, but that is everytime so. the game hadnt a virus

Host(+2)

Unfortunately, entries which are actively identified as a virus by common anti-virus programs can't be accepted.   I realize this is most likely just a compatibility issue between PureBasic and MS Windows, but all the same we're not able to accept entries which require users to disable or otherwise circumvent their anti-virus software.   I wish I had a better answer for you.   This appears to be a long standing problem and it's not clear why it hasn't been fixed yet.  On the plus side, there are many alternative to PureBasic out there.  If you PM me over on discord, I'd be happy to help you try to port your code base to one of them.

but it depends on the virus scanner. some virus scanner are very annoying and tell every file is a virus. that i dont accept! when the windows-intern virus scanner say its ok than it should be okay. but scanner like avast or other are announcing every homebrew game as virus. I have 7 programing languages, i havent only purebasic. but i dont want to miss it and only use for unranked jams. 

Host(+1)

I agree it is an annoying situation and understand your frustration, however this jam simply can't t accept entries which are actively identified as a virus by common anti-virus programs. 

If you still wish to use PureBasic for your project, there do appear to be some things you can do to help your executable pass common virus scans.  The PureBasic forums are full of posts with developers talking about things they have done to solve this problem.   Try searching there for a solution.  Here's one example:

https://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?t=72466

And here's a web site that can help you check if your exe file will get flagged by common anti-virus software.

https://www.virustotal.com

There are many, many anti-virus programs so hitting a few false positives probably is unavoidable, but if you could get the exe to pass the most common ones (McCafee, MS Defender, BitDefender, AVast, Kaspersky, Norton, Trend Micro, etc) it'd be acceptable for this jam.

is there a tool which makes the exe secure for the common virus-scanner?

Host(+2)

It appears developers have used different methods to get around this problem.  You will have to do some research to find a solution that works for your setup.

The forum post I gave a link to includes some advice.  Some one said to avoid using the statement:

UsePNGImageDecoder()

in your code.

Someone else posted what looks like PureBasic code for a program that modifies an executables size and crc checksum to help it pass common virus scans.

I don’t use PureBasic so I can only be of limited help here but if you read the forum thread I posted and search the PureBasic forums for other threads on this topic you may find a solution that works for you.

Host

Hi!  Did you find a solution for this issue?   The Jam hasn't begun yet so there's still plenty of time to figure something out.   I am happy to help you test an exe if that would be helpful.

i use purebasic only for the basic-jam. for your summer jam i will use another language.

Submitted

hey i just wanna say that i am sorry about removing your game from the last jam. i felt really bad about it. but after coordinating with the other bigwigs at opengameart, this is the answer we came to. it still really really really made me feel like a dog turd. i am sure that it is very little solace to you that the decision made me feel bad, but that's all i can offer you.

you must not feel bad, i doesnt take purebasic for this jam. that happened in other jams, too