Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

what do you mean exactly by 1 button

A topic by Aaron Pastor created May 28, 2020 Views: 537 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 5

does this include virtual buttons (like w is the only button used, but the UI has other buttons)

Host

one button means one button. Pick a button on your keyboard or mouse. That is the only button the player can use. You are allowed to use a mouse cursor, also.  How it interacts with the game is up to you. If it functions with other controls on a UI that’s fine. 

Submitted

So by that rule any games using only mouse input (as long as there is only left click) are qualified. That makes for most “point ant click” and “drag and drop” (card games) games.

Of cause this is your jam and changing the rules after the start is stupid anyway, so we will just go with it. However if you are making a game for this jam I challenge you to only use 1 key. No mouse position. I will definitely do so!

But most importantly have fun!

Submitted

The way I see it, the mechanics can cover games as simple as Flappy Bird to games as complex as Real-Time Strategies. But the criteria "Gameplay Creativity" is the real limiter.

I could've also commit with the "No mouse position" games since they suddenly start popping in my head, but it's too late to turn back for me now.

In any case, this Jam is great for beginners to get their feet wet, and that's what I like about it.

Submitted

is it ok to use a second button to restart a level or sth, which would have nothing to do with the gameplay?

Submitted

I guess the “game” starts as soon as your code kicks in. But maybe you can come up with something else than a 2nd button. For example make a bar fill as long as the button is pressed and once it is full it selects the level. So in short: use the short button press for one action and long button press for an other.

Submitted

Yea I have an idea for the gameplay don't need a level selection. But it would be nice to let the player restart the level quickly without actually having to die. Would improve the experience a lot without affecting the game at all \^_^/

Submitted

Yeah, I have the same problem, where adding a reset button would be good. However try working around it. Having to reset is not a fun game mechanic. Maybe you can find a way the player can fix his mistakes and have an other try without reset? If this doesn’t work but getting killed resets the game, try to place instant kill obstacles (like spikes or such) in the parts of the level where the player might need a reset. Or maybe even reset buttons the player can activate in game by standing on them or something…

Submitted

As long as I don't get an ok for reset button I'll think about a way around. Probably should work anyways... Just takes some more time :D but I guess 11 or sth days from now should be good for that. This time I chose a way smaller scope than for my first ever jam to hopefully finish lol

Submitted (1 edit)

Could the button be in the UI only? And could you like make the keyboard map to the button as well as onscreen?

Submitted
Deleted 3 years ago
Submitted (1 edit)

I am going to map Mouse click / one keyboard key / one controller key all to one action. This is just for accessibility so one can play with only mouse/keyboard/touchscreen/controller available. The rules state “Create a game that utilizes just one button.”. In my interpretation it is fine if a game maps multiple inputs to one “button” action as still only the use of one of these is needed to play the game. But of cause West Valley Games make the rules. So please tell me if my interpretation is wrong. However “That is the only button the player can use” would support my interpretation.

Host

it’s perfectly fine to have functions like pause, level select and such. The purpose of the jam is to see who can be the most creative with game play limited to one button. If you want to have a typical card game where you can use a mouse with drop down menus and such that is within the rules. But, personally I dont see that as creative and may not vote favorably towards it. However, this is voted on by the other people Jam so maybe they will see it differently. 

Submitted

So a reset button is fine? Great :D making level design way easier then 

ah that is much simpler than I thought thanks for the info

Deleted 3 years ago
(+1)

From what I’ve gathered, yeah.

Could we use the arrow keys for the start and pause menu as long as we only use a single button during the actual gameplay? I figure it's not too far of a stretch from the use of a mouse or analog stick while keeping to only one button.

Host

yes