Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Any Examples?

A topic by remtaine created Aug 24, 2020 Views: 98 Replies: 1
Viewing posts 1 to 2

Hi! This looks like an interesting game jam! I'm having a hard time imagining a game without graphics however. Do you guys have any examples of blind-friendly games? Just to get the creative juices flowing :)

HostSubmitted (3 edits)

Great question! I’d love for you to enter. A “game without graphics” is simply one that you could play with your eyes closed or the display turned off. To be successful at such a game you’d rely on audio cues, a screen reader, or text-to-speech rather than visual cues. There are plenty of examples to get you started:

• AudioGames.net Game List. This is the definitive database of all audio games. You can find games of any genre released from the 80s to today. If you find it a little overwhelming to browse like I do, then read further.
  • itch.io blind-friendly tag. This tag lists all the games that itch.io developers have indicated are blind-friendly. Beware that the accessibility tags on itch.io are self-selected, meaning that unfortunately not all games here are truly “blind-friendly”. Avoid games that have zero audio or can’t be played with text-to-speech or a screen reader.
  • itch.io audio games tag. This tag is less frequently used (only 32 titles) but I can say that all of these titles would qualify for this jam.
  • Shameless self-plug. Feel free to browse the few things I’ve uploaded to itch.io. They’d all qualify for this jam, and nearly all of them are open-source.

Hope this helps!