Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Fantasy Cube Sim

A topic by organicpencil created Jun 11, 2022 Views: 213 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted (1 edit)

I was inspired to try making a game similar to one of my childhood favorites "Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim".  Haven't decided on the art style yet, so for now it's just cubes. It'll probably still be cubes at release haha.

It's essentially an RTS where your units have a mind of their own. The player's control is quite... limited.
So far I've written design docs for a bunch of code and other stuff, implemented my frameworks for building and AI. Pretty much have been no-life'ing it since I started about 5 days ago. Hopefully I'm able to keep up the momentum.

Here's a hideous screenshot that won't make much sense:

Best of luck to the other combatants.

Submitted(+1)

Majesty is a great game, good luck on modernising it. I definitely look forward to playing this, even if it is cubes :D

Submitted

70 hours in and still strong, dodging those social obligations like I'm Muhammad Ali.

The game still looks like garbage BUT a lot of stuff has happened. Constructing & upgrading buildings, cube peasants, guards, various AI fixes, and just a bit of artwork.

I'm hoping to have the basics wrapped up this coming week, and then I shall focus on aesthetics. Admittedly that's not really my strong point but I'll at least try to have fun with it.

Submitted(+1)

Good job keeping up the momentum! I had burnout this week, but back now. I'm just realising how much I need a golden toilet :D

Submitted(+1)

A throne fit for a king!

Submitted

Been awhile since I posted. Bunch o' stuff has happened, but most notable was the visual overhaul. I SUSPECT the people in dark rooms are gonna hate this game lol.

Still got a couple days of boring work then it's onward to content creation. 119 hours in the log.

Submitted(+1)

That's a huge visual leap! Those castles are cool and giving me original Populous vibes. Damn I used to love flattening terrain! :)

Submitted

News:

• Fell into a trance and lost 3 weeks. Luckily, I was able to snap out of it when my Skyrim save got corrupted. Had to make a lot of cuts to stay on schedule.
  • Added 3 hero types with unique behaviors that level up and stuff.
  • Fog of war, tax collectors, market, graveyard, ...?
  • Lots of random fixes

Still got a handful of programming tasks that I'm hoping to finish by Monday, which should leave 3 full days to juice things up and mash some levels together. 158 hours so far.

Submitted

Welp those 3 full days of juice ended up being ~half a day because 1) I slacked off for a couple days and 2) totally forgot to QA my stuff. Fixed a lot of bugs though. Also got a (simple) tutorial level done! We'll see what all else I can cram between job stuff. Made a crapload of burritos last night so I'm ready to gooooo.

Submitted

I'm interested to see the result no matter what state. I kinda liked original Majesty game :)

Submitted(+1)

I totally understand the first problem! For me it's Path of Exile that does that :)

Hope to see you at the finish line!

Submitted (4 edits)

SUBMISSION COMPLETE

That was a wild ride. Clocked 187 hours and 5 minutes by the end of it.

Here's a rough breakdown of where I spent my time:

• Programming: 56%
  • Art: 12%
  • Planning/other: 32%

Regrets:

• Not spending more time on art
  • Not enough levels
  • Found a huge flaw in my code design at the last minute that's affecting stability, too late to fix
  • No sound, no animations

Was fun! Can't wait to play the other games.