SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

VOTING HAS BEGUN! Sticky

A topic by Matt Hughson (NES Dev) created Nov 01, 2022 Views: 383 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
HostSubmitted (3 edits)

Submissions Closed!

Submission have officially closed, and wow! What a great turnout this year! There are 22 brand new games and 7 tools/toys for the NES thanks to all of you. Congratulations to everyone who managed to submit something; you are one of a handful of people with the skill to make an NES game in 2022.

If you were not able to complete your project this year, the competition runs every year, and there is no limit on how much time you spend on your project, so think about starting today!

Judging Begins Today!

With the submission deadline closed, the judging can now begin, and lasts to the end of November. 

All submissions can be found here:

https://itch.io/jam/nesdev-2022/entries

Please keep a few things in mind:

• Only people who submitted entries may vote.
  • Try to play and vote on every game if possible (as is the tradition for nesdev compo).
  • If given a choice, please judge the downloadable ROM from itch. Uploads are locked to keep things fair, but there is nothing stopping someone from updating an embedded emulator, or offsite downloads
  • Only games are eligible to win the competition, so you only need to score those. You can filter to just Games on the left side. 
  • Don't rush, take your time, and leave feedback/compliments for the devs. Although this is a competition, it's also a celebration of our community, and what each other have created.

With the competition being on itch this year, we don't have a good way to enforce a lot of these rules, so honor system is in effect.

Submitted(+1)

Matt - Thanks for hosting the compo! A couple of questions:

1. Does itch document how they calculate the overall scores at the end? Just curious how the various categories, number of ratings, etc. factor in.
  2. To your point about leaving feedback/compliments... there's a comments section on both the submission page and on the game's page. Any guidance on which page to use for feedback? Probably doesn't matter too much, but maybe the game page would have greater visibility in the future?
HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Does itch document how they calculate the overall scores at the end?

All the entries in the jam are ranked by the average scores in each criteria. An Overall rank is also calculated from the average of all the criteria results, and this will determine with final placement/winners. No one criteria has more weight than any other. The "Overall Impression" criteria is intended to give judges a way to nudge their scores in cases where a game is more (or less) than the sum of its parts.

Just curious how the various categories, number of ratings, etc. factor in.

Only the "Game" category is ranked and awarded a winner. I know you can rank the "toy" category, but that's just a shortcoming of the itch system (I can't not rank one category). Number of ratings etc have no impact on final winner (outside of a tie, which would go to the game with the most rankings).

Any guidance on which page to use for feedback?

I am planning to use the compo page, because the game page may change over time (if say the game gets turned into a full release at some point) and this feels like more of a snapshot in time. But the main purpose is to get the feedback to the creators, so either way should work.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! And by "category" I actually meant "criteria" - in any case, your answer covered it!

Submitted

I put this spreadsheet together to compile voting between multiple team members; am sharing in case it's helpful for anyone else. This sheet's set up for a team of 3, but can easily be adjusted for varying sizes. If anyone wants to use it, and wants me to change it for team sizes, just ask.
Team Judging Spreadsheet

One cool thing is that Sheets automatically updates references to different sheets/tabs within the file; so you can rename tabs with contributors' names and the formulas still update.

HostSubmitted

Awesome. Even useful for teams of 1, as I wanted to score everyone before actually submitting, to avoid the first few being out of balance with the later games I played.

Submitted(+1)

Nice! Before seeing this, I had just a minute ago created my own spreadsheet that looks very similar. I should have looked here first!

HostSubmitted(+1)

Half way point through the voting period! Make sure to leave yourself some time to really dig into the game, and not feel rushed at the end.

Voting closes at the end of the month!