Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[devlog] Midnight Fortress

A topic by Fenfel created Jan 05, 2016 Views: 777 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

Hello! I don't really know much about making games but I want to learn and make something.

I'm starting a few days late but that's okay I guess. Anyways! Here's the overall idea I have:

Summary: Midnight Fortress is about a little fella exploring a fortress in the middle of the night, hence the name (which may change, not sure). They don't have a weapon, just a pair of gloves, their clothes and some improvised armor, but they are kind of strong and fast. They try explore the fortress in search of goodies and the like while dealing with the enemies that call said fortress home.

Gamplay: It is a simple sidescrolling platforming game. The idea is to have a big fortress with many secrets to explore. There are guards all around, and you can't defeat them, but you can knock em out. The idea I have is that once they encounter you and either you ecape or knock em out, they will know you're there and be on alert: If they encounter you in a room and you leave said room, after coming back that room will have stronger security. My idea is to have just the starting save point outside the fortress and some checkpoints here and there, so if you are defeated you can restart in a checkpoint until the game over, where you're thrown outside the fortress.

Goals: Make a working prototype like 5-8 rooms, learn stuff and have fun!

I'm using GameMaker for this and don't really have much done aside from the idea and this drawing

I hope everything goes well!

EDIT: I forgot! I don't really know how to make images show here so sorry for links. Also will probably post updates thingies on the twitter hashtag I think and over my twitter here.

DOUBLE EDIT: Learned how to show images here, so yeah! There's the drawing I did!

this sounds cool!

Submitted

Thanks! I hope I can make it work.

Submitted

I messed around with pixels trying to come up with a sprite idea I liked. Here are the two of em:

Messing with MSpaint to do this was pretty fun.

Submitted(+1)

Spent a whole day making thins, then some hours yesterday's night fixing it. It feels wonky, specially the arms, but hey! I'm proud of having done this!

Will try to do something with the arms later, for now I'm happy with this.

HostSubmitted

whoa nice sprites so far!! this is looking good

Submitted (1 edit)

Made like 3 more sprites, a sort of bugged menu and a room warp. I feel I should make the camera zoom out more.

EDIT: Fixed the menu screen. It was just a very silly error on my part, kinda embarassing.

HostSubmitted

ah your sprite animation is lovely!! and i love the art for the menu screen ;;o;;

Submitted

Thanks! It is very simple art but I'm glad it came out okay : D

Same for animations. I never did stuff with pixels before.

Submitted (2 edits)

So, uh... I may have ran into some trouble

EDIT: Fixed it! It was a problem with the sprites collisions masks, way more simple than what I thought at first.

Submitted

Collision masks are tough. I had the same problem in my game. Good work fixing it.

Submitted

I made 2 enemies! I really want to make sprites for them but code came first.

The red one becomes more aware of the player after they notice them once.

the sprite is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! this is a really cute character!

Submitted

Thanks!

Submitted

Day late update and last update of the jam project!

So... I didn't finish my game! What a surprise! I'm not mad or anything, to be honest, I did way more than I expected when I joined this jam, having no knowledge of making games, or pixel art or animation. I feel I made a lot of progress in more than just learning to make games.

It was tons of fun and I don't regreat joining this jam at all. Thanks for making it!

With that said, here are the late updates. 2 gifs of what I spent yesterday doing. See ya!