Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The Last Blossom

A topic by leo_calil created Jan 15, 2022 Views: 286 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted(+1)

Hello there! So this is my second time at a Game Jam, my first one one was My First Game Jam Summer 2021, and I will attempt to do it alone, all the game art, programming and design!

I will try to follow the theme, so after coming up with the general idea I decided to focus the initial days on all the art for the game. For today, I believe I had some good results! I will attempt to proceed with some environmental hazards, and the character and animations tomorrow, maybe sliding with it to the third day. After that I will attempt to focus on bringing the idea to life with the assets inside Unity!

I hope I can reach my goals and my initial schedule.

Last Blossom - Pixel Art/Level Mockup - Day 1

Host(+1)

Wow this is awesome progress for the first day! I'm really loving the palette and textures of all your sprites. Excited to see more!

Submitted(+2)

So here we are at day 2!

I still mean to do some more, but so far I was able to add some environment items that I wanted and to begin with the animations. I will attempt to finish everything by day 3 so I can focus the rest of the time on programming and designing a fun experience!  

Here are some screenshots:

Host(+1)

Dang this is looking nice! Really curious to see how the color palette variations will be implemented!

Submitted

So now we are reaching the end of day 3!
I wasn't as productive as the other days, but I still managed to finish most of the animations, the main character most of all, and there is only a couple left for me to do for the environment so I will finish it tomorrow and start  building the game in Unity.

The whole idea revolves around playing as 'The Last Blossom', in a 2d platformer like the old days Mario, as it tries to survive in an environment filled with hazards mankind has left at nature. The ultimate goal is to find the shrine that contains the remaining clean water.

Submitted

So here we are at day 5.

At day 4 I had a major setback because all my assets were saved wrong, and yes, you guessed it right, by me :(

So I kinda took the day off to breath and come out with a solution, and then today I was able to address everything that went wrong and begin to asses everything in Unity. Below there is a Gif of how everything looks so far. I think the background didn't look how I expected, I will probably make it a bit darker and smaller so it gives the depth I want.

My goal for tomorrow is to work on a Level Design and on the hazards of the environment and their impact on the player.

After that I will test it for a day so I can see if I can add some other ideas I have, but I will attempt to focus the next couple of days on making a smooth core experience from what I imagined initially.

Submitted

Here we are at day 11!

Over the end of the last week and the beginning of this I was very busy, but I will manage to deliver more updates and hopefully a nice game experience.

Below there is a Gif with the current status of the game! I mean to make the initial screen and other two levels until the end of the week!

GIF of Day 11 Status

Submitted

End of day 12!

I was able to do the initial screen, a simple one with a transition to the first level, and to start and complete the second level.
Tomorrow's goal is to do the third and final level, with an interactivity with the 'ending'.

Hopefully I will be able to complete these tomorrow to test everything and eventually add some new details, the core of the gameplay is simple as it is a platformer but I think it is answering well.

Submitted(+1)

This looks soo freaking cool! 

Submitted

So here we are at the end of the final day. A little less than 3 hours for the deadline and I was able to complete the game. 

I will do later on a post mortem with some trivia, but overall I think I am satisfied with my delivery. It is a simple and short game, but I can say I did all of it except for the Sounds and the letters.

Here it is, feel free to play and give any feedback!

https://leo-calil.itch.io/the-last-blossom