Hi all!!! Cynthia here, this is my third time participating in an MFGJ event and I'm psyched to be here again! My other games were Room for thought and A shade of blue, two very different games on their own- the former a first person narrative and the second a kinetic short story with 'room escape' elements. This time around, I've got my learning cap on and I'm tackling a form of inventory in Ren'py (sweats...) along with honing my writing in general!
Before I get to all the good devlog stuff, allow me to introduce myself! I'm Cynthia, a small illustrator, gamedev/VNdev and HUGE mystery enthusiast - big fan of Ace Attorney, 999, Zero Escape, Danganronpa, Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk, etc. (I haven't gotten around to AI Somnium Files so it is not in the 'etc' pile yet - forgive me).
- - -
In the midst of a snowstorm, four employees of the newly successful music retail company Masters Records find themselves unable to progress to an awards ceremony due to heavy snow. Taking shelter in a nearby mountain lodge, the four are stressed and upset that they won't be able to receive the award they all worked so hard for. However, newcomer Rocky is quick to look at the brighter side of things and tries to help the rest of her coworkers enjoy themselves regardless the award!
- - -
(Main character) Rochelle "Rocky" Rhoyle
- Rocky is a casual, laid-back, lover of talking peoples' ears off, landing her the position of public relations officer. As such, she finds herself in the midst of crisis management... within the group.
- As a newcomer to the small company, Rocky still has some things to learn about her fellow coworkers...
- A well-to-do numbers person who believes everything must be earned, Starr is rather tightly wound and unintentionally callous, resulting in her being difficult to approach.
- As the young proprietor of Masters Records, a newly successful retail music company, Sylvia is the clever businesswoman behind it all. She can be rather airheaded during certain social situations, however.
- Loren is an impressionable office administrator that will always give 120% in whatever task needs to get done. They are an enthusiast of mysteries who often inserts their enthusiasm in misplaced scenarios...
- Brigid is Masters Records' stern legal advisor who's always about facts in the work environment. However, her personality outside work lacks the courage her advisory side displays as she has some trouble with her self-confidence. She finds herself at the awards ceremony by herself, nervous about accepting the award since she always thought of herself as a 'second fiddle' of sorts to the grand achievements of Sylvia.
- - -
So far the story outline has been fully plotted out! I will be working in-depth on creating the main mechanic of the game which will essentially function as a casual contradiction/objection mechanic, wherein Rocky will begin to remember select statements after the employees express their dissatisfaction on their snowed in predicament. As the other employees are spread aimlessly throughout the lodge, Rocky will take it upon herself to try and make the evening enjoyable for the rest of her coworkers by quashing their worries. Rocky's penchant for being generally nosy and remembering what people say will contribute to her trying to remedy the stressful situation the employees find themselves in.
I'm still sorting the mechanic out in my head, so please forgive me for not detailing much here. I hope to work out a form of the mechanic come this evening!
My main focus for this game jam is definitely going to be writing and programming- two areas that I feel I could improve upon in my novice stages of learning about development, so my devlogs will be on the more wordy side than visual as I share my trials and tribulations!
- - -
That's all from me, however there's more to be seen as I have the pleasure of working alongside the amazing artist dotoriii! I am leaving the character designs in their greatly blessed hands- they are in the midst of designing the cast, so please stay tuned for their post regarding that!
- - -
[Edit] The team consists of:
- 💻 mythridate (me!): writing & programming
- 🎨 dotoriii (artist extraordinaire): character design & artwork
And for the sake of staying within scope, music will be pulled from The Sound of Picture.