itch.io Spring Selects Series A
On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Started making games 6 days ago ; first jam (Devlog)

A topic by JamSpread created Jan 23, 2020 Views: 428 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(6 edits) (+5)

Day -1

_________

I am excited to start my first jam and I think I have my plot nailed down.

You are a alive being in the village and protect from monsters although when then moon strikes each night except on a new moon. When you become a destructive beast keen on causing mayhem. Also midnight snow pours causing heat levels to go down so you must also stay heated.

Since I'm new to the whole game making thing I wanted to start getting my bases to get prepared for the following weeks. I learned animation, and today through watching a time lapse of producing a tile set I made my first professional one and learned a lot. I think I shall make this game a platformer. I want to introduce a unique mechanic and I sure wish to think of one. I am not producing prior to the jam and am just making content that could guide me later. 

Day 0

_________

I want to get my 

assets, art music and the such down before heading into my game engine, so I am going to start working on my sprite animations and character. I have concept art about a character with a mask due to the fact I don't really know how to make a face. The vest is a light burgundy and the shirt being one of green coloring. I honestly don't have much of an idea how to do this, so any suggestions would be a massive help.

Note: I am working alone;

Day 1

_________

I am working on my sprite still and have had some trouble so to ease my mind I created a possible background for the game.

I don't honestly know about this and have a snowier and fainter background in mind. I could possibly adjust the image but only 

I also installed a better pixel art tool (Aseprite) I feel it's better for the tile and sprite work and the absence may have contributed to earlier failure I was facing.

I then made the Start Menu and the context bars for heat and health. These were pretty simple to implement.

Day 2 & 3

_________

On day 2,

I worked on my time system as that is essential to the transformation and so that snow comes. It worked pretty well and I did some C# to make the background change color depending on the time. I also worked on the player movement script and that didn't take much of my time. I also then inplemented 2D lights and was fascinated by it.

I realized that I do not want this like a platformer or like Celeste but like a 2D side view where you can fight, buy and tend to your needs.

I know this may be very  overwhelming  although I think I may learn more.

Since day 3 (today) is day before my birthday I took a bit long attending to other things. This was really a break day.

Submitted(+1)

Dude, this is a cool project. I will look forward to it and subscribe to this topic. Good luck!

(+2)

Thats a very cool idea for a game^^

And the tiles are better than everything that I have ever done xD

Good Luck 4 you and your project

Submitted(+1)

Your tile work is so interesting and detailed. I aspire to create pixel art like that. Looking forward to see what you decide on for a game mechanic.

Submitted(+1)

Your project looks very nice. I'm also a beginner in the making game world and I hope you will finish a great game.

Thanks I wish the very same to you! :)

Host

oh this is a super interesting premise! i'm really curious to see how the beast phase will look!

(+1)

I think instead of a traditional beast I want to make it have a puppet like (possibly looking frail at first) figure!

Host(+1)

ohhhhh so cool! so it'll change over time?

(+1)

Yeah, I want to make cool animations but I should try to get the basics down, I'm also excited now that I have my time system working.

Host(+1)

for sure. if you're trying to figure out a way to show change while using the same sprite maybe you could tint the color of the sprite? also great progress!!

(+1)

Looking good! Aseprite is an awesome tool. Good choice. :)

(+1)

Thanks, I indefinitely agree with you about Aseprite, it was a great upgrade!