Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Pixel Shelter

A topic by adoringcatfish created Jan 08, 2017 Views: 418 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Concept

A casual shelter simulator game. You run a shelter, take in animals, and manage the finance of the shelter! It's not heavy on game play since this is the first game I will be making.

Features

Drag furniture - 0% - arrange your shelter in the way you want! where's the reception? what furniture do you have? how big / extant are the animals rooms or cages? do you have a vet area? i dont know if i'll be able to implement all of these furniture/rooms?

Finance screen - 0% - see where your money is coming from and how its leaving. this is the main "balancing act" screen.

Choose color theme - 0% - most of the shelter will be the same color, but spice it up a bit with choosing between pink, blue, etc. should be possible for any color

Various other specific mechanics as I work out details / remember them.

Production

This will be an HTML 5 game, coded from "scratch" using PixiJS. Pixels will generally be open source, and I'll compose a list of credits at the end. I may make a few of my own resources, if possible. In addition to the Devlogs present here, my HTML5 game is hosted on Cloud 9, and you can see all code as I edit it here. A general file tree can be found here.

[DV] Day 1 - 1/7/16

Today I made a rectangular box that mostly expands to fit the screen! Really this was just setting up PixiJS for the first time and getting the basis for the project. It was a rather busy day for me outside of coding, so I didn't really get much done today. On the good side, I did find a good tutorial walking me through PixiJS and am fully set up to making a complete title screen and a finance screen.

ImageOne

As you can see, it doesn't look at that impressive, but there's the framework I need hiding behind it so all's good! Making it fully responsive was fun, too. Once you resize the window it keeps looking great, and that's what counts.

Submitted

Sounds cool! I've never really touched HTML5, so I'll be interested to see your experience with it.

(Your image only shows up when I put it in a new tab, btw.)

Host

ohhh this sounds like a pretty fun concept. if you include resources at the end we can definitely pass them along to the next jam!

i really love this concept and i'm super excited to see how things work out for you!! it might be best to limit yourself to a couple of rooms and a few key furniture elements to focus on at first, but customizing the shelter is definitely a fun idea.