SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Pete Wellington Destroys Earth

A topic by Soggy Sweaty Games created Jul 15, 2020 Views: 336 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Pete Wellington Destroys Earth

"For some reason everybody hates Pete, I mean everybody, literally every human hates him. So Pete has to destroy the earth, it's the only logical thing to do!"

Hello everybody! this is my devlog for my game! I'm a bit late but let's see what I can do with the time remaining!

Outlining

So far I've just been laying out the basic idea. Which right now is a simple FPS where you have to kill all 7 or so billion people on the planet. Simple right?

well let's see what we've got so far...

Don't let my handwriting fool you, on some level that's English. lol! But yeah I've got some basics layed out.

I've also got some Starting things worked out before I actually start makin' the thing. Maybe I can avoid more spaghett code this way, Idk.

Eh, it's something I suppose. Anyway I'll probably catch some Z's and hop into unity tomorrow and start the grind!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Day 2

Menu's menu's everywhere!

Greetings everybody! It's day 2 for me and I spent all day today working on the main menu. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I've already knocked out most of the settings and everything so there's that! but the biggest time sink was actually setting up the control keybinding  portion of the menu. That sucker fought me every step of the way, to the point that even simple GUI components we're breaking! It's not pretty but it works, sort of. 

But yeah hopefully I won't have to deal with it any more, other than making it look better, and whatnot.

Anyway the rest of the things I did were a lot of scripting, laying down the foundation for all the In-game stuff to work better together and to make things easier in the long run. Thing's like the controls, so that I don't have to try and base a control system off of my half baked player controller spaghetti script , like usual...

Well that's it for today. Hopefully I can get something more tangible done tomorrow, we'll see.

Submitted(+1)

Day 3

He's Alive! sort of...

Hello everyone! Today is my third day working on "Pete Destroy's The Earth"  and I must be honest, it's off to a rough start. I've been working on this for probably about two and a half day's, and I'm just getting to player movement. now to be fair I had a lot of real world stuff to do today, and I got interrupted a lot. But still, I need to pick up the pace. so tomorrow I'm gonna try to really lock myself away and get things done! but in the mean time here's what I did today.

I got some basic player movement implemented. though I had to make a couple tweaks to my Keybinding system, and also it's kinda buggy. I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

also I got distracted and made a little placeholder gun, it may stay in the game idk.

And that's all I did! Hopefully I'll do much more tomorrow!

Submitted(+2)

Some people have more experience than others, some people have more free time than others, some people have more competing responsibilities than others. It doesn't matter how much you get done, it only matters that you keep working on your goals and don't give up. If you had fun and learned something, you succeeded.

This motivational speech was brought to you by the end of the work week, and caffeine.

Submitted

Thank you! Those are some words to live by. 

Host(+1)

omg i love how catchy and to the point your premise is. honestly i remember unity ui being difficult to work with so kudos to getting that working so early on! i think i also wanna second team shave i wouldn't sweat progress too much haha it's always better to work at your own pace and not burn out imo. good luck with the jam!

Submitted(+1)

Day 4/5

Slow and steady win's the race

Hello Everyone! I hope everyone's doing well today! I didn't post a Devlog yesterday, mostly because I didn't do enough to really put in a devlog so I decided to combine it with this one. 

Yesterday was mostly spent procrastinating lol! But when I get around to working on the game, I mostly just tweaked some things with the controls(I just can't stop myself lol) But it was a lot better prepared for what I did today

The movement's been vastly improved, still not perfect . But not bad considering this is actually the first time I've made an FPS.

I slapped together a new weapon and added the ability to switch between weapons you had. also added that nice little sway effect when you look around. I have it kinda stiff in the editor 'cause I found that in built versions the sway was a lot looser for some reason.

Tomorrow I'll probably try to start setting up some basic AI. I'm hoping to get something semi-playable out before the jam ends for some play-testing but we'll see how it goes. Here's Hopin'!

Anyway that's all I've got for now. till next time!

Submitted(+1)

I like the weapons, they are pretty minimalist and cool! Good luck!

Submitted

Thanks! I'm gonna need it lol

Submitted(+1)

unfortunately there's a lot going on in real life right now so I'm probably not going to be able to finish this game jam. I'll still see what I can do, but the past couple days have been very busy and kind of stressful. Either way I still learned a lot, and I've had fun. Good luck everyone.

Host

awww i hope things look up for you soon! i'm sending you good vibes. i'm glad you could join us and i'm glad to hear you've learned a lot and had fun!! that's the most important part!!!

Submitted

Phew

With but 5 minutes to spare I managed to squeak something out before the end of the jam! It's not quite the same but I'm quite proud of it considering I rebuilt it from the ground up in the last 48 hours. there are still things that need work but this is what I have.

Go check it out!