SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[LIVE] RhythmPG: the turn based, time based, synthwave inspired RPG [DEVLOG]

A topic by sinetwo created Jul 13, 2020 Views: 1,260 Replies: 43
Viewing posts 1 to 30
Submitted (13 edits) (+11)

*** WE ARE NOW LIVE @ https://sinetwo.itch.io/rhythmpg ***

RhythmPGThe turn based, rhythm based, pixelart synthwave inspired RPG (it's a mouthful, we know!)

Credits: 

Setup:

• Engine: Unity
  • Render pipeline: URP with 2d lighting (experimental)
  • Assets: Koreographer
  • Mechanics: made for this jam
  • Graphics: made for this jam
  • Music: made for this game
  • Dialogue system: made for this jam
Submitted(+3)

A turn based, rhythm based game sounds very good! 

Submitted(+2)

Here's early concept art from Irene!

Characters:

Level design:

(+2)

This game is going to be fantastic! Can’t wait to see it when it comes out. I’m a big fan of the lead programmers past games; this may become the best one yet!

Submitted(+3)

This sounds and looks awesome! I want to play it already.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Below is an early prototype of our dialogue system, which incorporates both normal speed and "sped up text". We'll update the font to make sure it includes all characters :)

(+1)

And thus begins the heroic journey of Dusk, SineTwo and Irene to obtain the sacred divine knowledge of game development and once again salvaging this world from its torturing boredom....

Submitted(+2)

And here are the perfectly sync'ed arrows using Koreographer! 

Next steps would be to expand on this and extend it to cater for battle mechanics. It's likely we'll use some stock assets for now whilst we work on the pixel art and custom animations.

(+2)

RHYTHMPG! :D

Submitted(+1)

The lead character has been revealed! 

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

...and here's the player and enemy attacks synced up to the music with stock assets. Now to replace and make some funky animations.

Each player gets 4 beats in a row to attack in this song.

Submitted(+1)

Wow, this is really cool! I am feeling the groove! I bet pulling off those perfect combos would feel extremely satisfying while seeing the attacks sync with the beat!

(+1)

Thank you for your compliment! We've made sure that our game mechanic is responsive and impactful to encourage players to play well at the game then pull a satisfying stunt in the end :)

(+1)

That Color pallet is amazing! I also love the idle animations further on!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

DustyDusk's implemented both player and enemy turns in my Synthwave track. We're yet to determine the musical aspect and theme of the game but it may well be heading this way!

(3 edits) (+1)

Currently, we're implementing the idea of player phase (blue notes) and enemy phase(red notes).

When the blue notes are hit, player executes attack while enemy is damaged.
When the blue notes are missed, player fails to execute attack.
When the red notes are hit, enemy executes attack but player defended.
When the red notes are missed, enemy executes attack and the player is damage.

Hope that helps to clarify what's happening in the video!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Used Inverse Kinematics on Irene's main protagonist. The idle animation is looking a bit robotic but this will be improved.

Submitted(+1)

Here's the base attack animation with a placeholder particle effect. It'll do until we crunch and finesse it :)

Submitted

And here are the temporary PlayerDefend and PlayerHit animations. Still looking a bit robotic :/ 

Submitted(+2)

woah, such a neat idea for a game. Good luck!

Submitted(+2)

Thanks Doops, it's ambitious but certainly doable for a solo level. If we manage to get 3 levels in I would be so happy :D 

Submitted(+1)

such a good looking game so far, bet you'll be able to make on time since we do have quite the time left for the jam. Can't wait to play it myself once its finished

Submitted(+1)

Irene's new background is in, and here's me having added all 2D lights via URP using the experimental package. This contains 4 types of lights: point lights, global light, sprite light (for the bar sign) and parametric light.

My post processing got busted so I need to add the post processing volume again, and I realise the spotlight hitting the ground is also illuminating the character. I'll fix these issues. The last part is *potentially* adding shadow cast by the light on to the character, but this is a nice to have as I'm not sure how good it would look...

Submitted(+1)

Enemy concept by Irene!

Host(+2)

oh my god these visuals and aesthetics are INCREDIBLE. the design of the game is also so cool i love how the two kind of work together rly well. augh i cannot wait to play this!!

Thank you for your support!

Submitted

Thanks a lot J - much appreciated :) 

Submitted(+1)

Looks great! I wonder if this is inspired by this video at all?

Submitted

I have NEVER seen that before, but it's oddly uncanny, haha - this really should make it to the blooper reel.

Submitted (1 edit)

Haha, I was immediately reminded of it when looking at your project. You could have a level set to that track! (maybe have the user provide the mp3 for copyright reasons)

Submitted(+2)

Here are the idle animations for the 2nd boss

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Here's Dusk's combo system in effect with health bars. I still need to work on the animations a bit as they're not as snappy as I'd expect, but overall the project is starting to take shape!

Submitted(+1)

In terms of the devlog, have a look at our Trello board. It's really been a huge team effort over the past week and a half given that we've got work/school commitments and families to cater for in the evenings. 1.5 more days of fixing bugs and we release the 3 stage demo!

Submitted(+1)

And here are some near completion screenshots :)

Submitted(+1)

The combo and health bar system in effect:

(+2)

I like the style, good job!

Thank you for you support! The game should be submitted quite soon, currently we're finishing development with some few nice touches!

Submitted(+1)

Aaaand a few more screenshots as we're getting close to finalising!

(+2)

I’m so excited! This is going to be the best game jam to ever be jammed!

Submitted(+2)

Looks pretty good. Definitely going to try it!

Submitted

We'd love any feedback you have - thanks for showing interest!

Submitted(+1)

Finishing touches in the game. Look at these 'street light spark effects' which no one is ever going to notice :D 

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Right, we have published!

RhythmPG: The turn based, rhythm based, pixelart synthwave inspired RPG (it's a mouthful, we know!)

Massive team effort with DustyDusk and Irene . DustyDusk will be posting the Mac and Windows builds prior to the gamejam finishing, but the WebGL build (tested with Chrome) is now live!

https://sinetwo.itch.io/rhythmpg

And here is the link to the downloadable version for Windows and MacOS!

https://dustydusk.itch.io/rhythmpg