Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Devlog for my first game "Orbal Quest"!

A topic by Galm_1 created Jul 12, 2020 Views: 504 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 14

Hi! this is my first devlog about my first game!

I am currently working on a puzzle-platformer in Godot called Orbal Quest (i might change the title in the future). For the art, I found a really good looking sprite tileset by 0x72 . In this game, you wake up in a factory that creates evil robots. While on your way to escaping the factory, you find a powerful orb that you can use to activate contraptions around you. Upon getting hit by an orb, your character can store the orb's power in his body for a certain period of time. As you progress through the levels, the orb makes you more powerful and allows you to do more stuff to escape the factory.

(sorry if my recording is bad) I hope you will enjoy the game when it gets finished!

16x16 industrial tileset by 0x72:
https://0x72.itch.io/16x16-industrial-tileset

I made a test level!

Submitted

Wow, this is really neat! The puzzle mechanics are really interesting and the graphics are really cute! It kinda reminds me of those sliding-on-ice mechanics puzzle where you have to commit to a single direction, but instead of that you fire a projectile here and you can even change how it moves!

Host(+1)

omg this looks AWESOME. great progress so far!! i'm really eager to see more levels for this. best of luck with the rest of the jam!

Thank you! :D

I feel really lazy today but i still managed to add a fade in and out transition in between scenes.

Submitted(+1)

This looks insane for a few days' progress, and I love the art style and animations. Well done!

Thank you!

(1 edit)

I have implemented the game's Main Menu! I still haven't started on making the settings and the game still doesn't have a pause menu. I still have lots of work to do :)

Oh and I have also made it so that the character still jumps even if the player presses the jump button a little bit too early for a better game feel :]

(+1)

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around learning Godot's UI nodes. So for this game, I've decided to place the UI by hand so I can continue to work on more parts of the game. But! After this game jam, when I have lots of time, I will learn and master Godot's UI nodes so that the UI for my next game will be able to adapt any screen size.

(+1)

Settings successfully added! I used one of Toby Fox's soundtracks to test if my volume scrollers are working. I hope to make my own soundtracks soon! I also added a working  fullscreen toggle :) 

WARNING FOR HEADPHONE USERS: The volume of the video may suddenly go up and down as I play with the volume settings that I implemented.

The buttons in the main menu are now fully functioning!

Submitted

This looks really cool! great work 

I think I should start working on making the music now....

I finally finished implementing a simple pause menu! For the last 2 hours, I was looking for the cause of a bug which only took a minute to fix XD

Anyways, here's what the pause menu looks like :)

I'm have started working on the tutorial levels!
Host (1 edit)

oh this menu looks fantastic!! your visual style is so lovely too i love the limited palette, it really helps the player stand out. i wonder if for future iterations maybe some of the platforms/foreground would help separate it from the background parts? right now the background art has the same color/value as the platforms for some of these so it might make it easier for players to instantly read the level's layout and platforms. just a thought for the future maybe. this menu looks awesome too--i love the idling animation of everything. can't wait to see more!

Congrats on the game. Would love to collaborate further beyond the game jam. I'm a Unity programmer, but I would be open to helping with development on Godot. Cheers!!! Ping me - anilcool@gmail.com