Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Micro

A topic by Laouro created Jul 05, 2019 Views: 416 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

So here it is, my firs time participating in a game jam.

I had a licence for GameMaker Studio 1.4 and this idea for a game since a long time, but never really done anything with it.

This jam is the occasion to put my ideas into practice. Here is what I managed to do today !

First day
(+1)

Oooo this already seems really neat !! Good luck !

Host(+1)

Oh this is so cute! I love the art so far--is this going over a science related process? I'm really curious to know more about this game!

(+1)

I love the clean art and the lab theme, can't wait to see what your ideas develop into!

Submitted(+1)

Here is what it looks like on Day 3

So I began tackling my nemesis in game maker studio : Handling in game text.

Found a good tutorial to input text and it works as intended. The default font is not very pretty but it can easily be changed later.

Also I implemented test tubes containing samples, and you can even add (only one for now) empty sterile tube to be filled.

Each tube as its own Id which is used to recall the corresponding label and to manage the content of the tubes I used a 2D array.

I mostly experiment on the go to see if things work out as planned. 

Don't know if this will be hard but what I plan next :

-An option to zoom/change the resolution...The game recquires quite a precise clicking

-A way to implement and handle multiple petri dishes (I still don't know how to record all the positions of the colonies, remove them, and retrieve them later...hopefully in a variable).

NB : A bensen burner is not enough if you have to work with pathogens in a real lab <<

Submitted(+1)

Day 4

I managed to handle multiple petri dishes but I feel my coding isn't really optimal. But still it works and it remembers what's in the different dishes.

I implemented adding test tube just enough to fill the rack. Each test tube has its own label and content (the newly added are empty).

But most importantly I added the fridge to stock the petri dishes ! You can access the label of all petri dishes from the fridge !

Now I still have to : 

- manage a way to retrieve the dishes from the fridge without encumbering too much the table.

- Still trying something to choose the level of zoom

- I should start working on the in game manual and in game objectives

Host(+1)

i love the style of this game so much--reminds me of a lot of point and clicks i grew up with. something about the isometric/orthographic style and 1 pixel lines. looking good!

Submitted (1 edit)

Progress after a week :

Working features :

-Tubes that can be removed added

-Petri dishes that only show what is put on them

-A fridge, to store/retrieve the petri dishes

-An optional tutorial (but I would really prefer if you'd skip it)

-An incubator, to let grow the micro population until you can see them (like in the first gif)

-A page of a manual with the different kind of micro colonies listed

-A very dynamic lists of objective, and also dynamic buttons to achieve said objectives (was a pain to align the text with the buttons, but it works !)

-The first two objectives are achievable

Planned features :

-Adding/remove/rewash petri dishes

-Make the third objective achievable

-Maybe, an endless mode once the first three objectives are complete

Oh and if you want more gifs look at my twitter thread : https://twitter.com/TriupLauro/status/1149696778666749952

Submitted

Here's the first downloadable version !

I added a few things, but I won't spoil it. Discover it all by yourself !