Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tempest

A topic by Harrie created Jul 16, 2018 Views: 530 Replies: 15
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted(+1)

What's up y'all! I'm a couple days late making my thread but I've been getting familiar with game maker โœŒ๐Ÿ˜Š

I'm gonna be making a little wee zelda-like dungeon with my dnd character Tempest!

She's a storm sorcerer & pirate cleric to umberlee - she's gay, selfish, and gets what she wants. In this game what she wants is a magic trident which may or may not be in this dungeon ๐Ÿคญ

Anyway here's what I have so far!

the sounds are via soundsplatfreesoundtrackmusic, and the tileset a cute dungeon by buch :^)

I'd like to make my own tileset & music & go beyond sketch sprites eventually, but that's beyond the scope of this jam I think!

what i've done so far is:

- movement with collision, sfx, & little footprints
- music
- tracking how many keys you have & whether or not a door is locked
- textboxes with letters that appear one at a time & optional portrait, Added Button To Say Its Gun Time

to do:

- GUI for things like keys and health
- make the gun actually do stuff, & add her halberd. Also sidenote her gun is actually a wand that looks like a gun, fun fact. it shoots spells!
- Add enemies & hp tracking
- Build the dungeon itself! gotta add puzzles and traps. I'm thinking some funky lil spikes & raising/lowering water levels to get around, but that may prove more time consuming than I want so we'll see...!
- this is probably not going to happen in this jam but I'm fond of dungeons that are completely recontextualised when you get a new ability, so I might have tempest find a new spell in this dungeon. Maybe it should be create or destroy water....? hmm ๐Ÿค”

Anyway my aim primarily for this is to build the basis of a lil dungeon game, & then I'll work on refining it after the jam  hopefully! :^)

Submitted

ui stuff is done!! next is Gun

Submitted

been working on that fresh enemy ai & hp tracking so theres things to shoot !! :^)

Submitted

This looks great so far! I'm not the biggest D&D fan in the world but I was brought up on the old Infinity Engine RPG's and I can appreciate the fact that your first enemy looks a bit like mustard jelly:) As for 'outsourcing' the graphics - that's a perfectly valid approach, especially if you're working alone. I'm also going to rely for the bulk of my graphic on kind strangers from the interwebz posting their stuff under CC license. Anyway, good luck! I'm excited for the future updates. 

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

ahh, thank you!! can't go wrong with a classic ol' slime enemy ๐Ÿ˜Š

I keep forgetting about gun time ๐Ÿ˜† but anyway! gun is Done although I need to animate the up & down directions, but functionally its done!

at least for now, some day I would like to play more into the lightning aspect of her magic and have the "bullet" trace out a path back to the gun & then lightning hits like so

but thats going to take a lot of thinking about! I have a few ideas on how to do this, but it's certainly going to be time consuming so I'll leave that for another time.

anyway next up is her halberd!

I've gotten the input setup I just need to figure out the collision stuff :o

edit: minor update i made an actual button ui

Submitted(+1)

hey! been a little while since i last posted because I took a break yesterday but:

- halberd stuff's proving trickier than planned because im Dumb and Dont Get Collisions When Written In GML Yet i'll figure it out tho!! i think I know what to do now I just want to go to sleep first LMAO it's getting late โœŒ๐Ÿ˜”

- but i did add some funky little screenshake though so thats neat

- slimes now wander around when tempest isn't near, & are animated and have timed movement!

- added a little icon when you can interact with something

- set things up so i can make doors lead to different rooms & put tempest in the right place facing the right direction. i also cleaned up things in the background with some parenting and such

- previously, tempest could not cancel her gun animation until both shots are fired. I decided I didn't like this and rewrote a bunch of stuff, so now you can cancel the animation which gives her a bit more mobility

there's some sound design stuff i'd like to do soon, namely:

- sfx for weapon attacks, damage, item get, opening doors, walking into walls, etc. i would add a sound for the slimes but i feel like if theres a lot of slimes that might be annoying ๐Ÿค” we'll see

- music changes. battle music when close to an enemy is probably a little much at the moment im not spending forever working out how to transition dynamically but some game over tunes and mini boss beats would be neat i think

oh yeah not sound design but i keep forgetting: i also want to make the slimes split into two smaller slimes when they die

Submitted(+1)

her halberd works!! I've also updated the ui, added the baby slimes, and random heart drops :^)

probably the next thing ill do is finish the up & down animations for tempests attacks & add a death animation for enemies. some classique zelda smoke
after that i want to start building the dungeon part of the game!!

Host

wow your animations are gorgeous!! i cant believe ive missed this devlog--youve got so much awesome stuff happening here. i love that you matched the palette of the tileset with your sprites. great work on the slime movement and the weapons :0c god i can't get over that lightning. keep up the awesome work!!!

Submitted

aw gosh thank you so much!!! ;a;

Submitted(+1)

tempest has some actual up & down attack animations now! I also adjusted the timing on the halberd animation to add a bit more anticipation, although the side will need more reworking later....but another time!!

I'm going to start building the dungeon itself now :^)

added some rough water & stair tiles and begun working on allowing tempest to swim, & also setting whether or not the room is cleared!

the plan for the dungeon is for the main puzzle being raising/lowering the water level, but I also need to plan out the layout ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Submitted(+1)

wow it's been a few days!! I've been busy designing the dungeon & figuring out the layout and what I want to happen in each room

The rooms are now all connected, I just need to lock them & populate them, then add a little screenshake when the water level changes, and set up one last switch!

Submitted(+2)

(How did I not notice this develop before? This looks amazing!)

Submitted

thank you!! ^w^

Submitted(+1)

This indeed looks great! Also, now that I think about it, our games have a similar color pallets (mostly brown and orange with a touch of primary colors).

Submitted

thank you!!! :^)

Submitted

submitted !!!!! 

๐Ÿ˜Š

https://itch.io/jam/my-first-game-jam-summer-2018/rate/284790